1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Polygamy be Legal?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SolitaryScribe, Nov 20, 2017.

1. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Let me know what you guy think!

2. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

I know it's not a popular opinion, but if it's between consenting adults I don't see a problem. Everyone is there of their own free will. Most religions may be against it, but those arguments are invalid because many countries have religion and government separate.

MLMVSS likes this.
  3. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Sure, it doesn’t affect my life so why should I care?

tweeby likes this.
  4. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I believe, in the religious view of marriage, that a marriage should be between a man, a woman, and God (although, obviously one should not love God in the same, Eros-type of way as they would their spouse). This, of course, can only be changed by God and only in certain circumstances. Because of this, churches and religions should never be forced to recognise or support any marriage that isn't between an adult male and an adult female.

But my opinion, in the secular, government view, is government shouldn't even be involved in marriage. Of course there's benefits of being married, but why not just give those benefits to cohabitants? Marriage in the government sense is just a contract for if a divorce occurs. For those reasons alone, consenting adults could do whatever they please, but don't expect me to offer any support in planning or arranging their marriage, as I have the right not to.

5. Having two spouses would either be a dream come true, or a nightmare. Not sure which.

6. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Dreams
    I wish polygamy was legal, imagine more than one wife/girlfriend!!

Reality
    Can't get one girlfriend LOL (well good looking anyway heh)

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  7. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

If you love someone deeply enough, they'll be the only person you'll need. I couldn't imagine being with more people than just my girlfriend (plus, all that extra shopping! :eek:)

Gotham Outlaw likes this.
  8. Gotham Outlaw

But if there's two of them they can go shopping together.

tweeby and MLMVSS like this.
  9. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Honestly, if I could get one decent girl interested in me, and not one you need to shoot with an elephant gun or one that's hit every branch on the ugly tree, that would be a step in the right direction LOL

FormerFapaholic and MLMVSS like this.
  10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Haha, very true :p

Gotham Outlaw and tweeby like this.
  11. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Plus your house will be twice as clean :D

12. Gotham Outlaw

I never even thought of this. It also means they can make twice as much food.

MLMVSS likes this.
  13. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

What if it does affect you indirectly? What if there were certain tax benefits given to polygamous marriages, which you end up paying for? What if these marriages caused a population crises?

14. hej då

hej då Fapstronaut

I feel that it's wrong but I can't put my finger on it.

15. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Well, I always get a refund at tax time so I doubt I’m going to be paying for anything. Also as a single insignificant person, my share of the payment would only pay fractions of a penny.

16. Spiff

Spiff Fapstronaut

A dream for about 15 minutes, then a nightmare for the rest of your life.

It'll be interesting to see how American secular government plays out in the near future. In particular with sexual/ family values, which have changed so much since the time of the establishment of the principle of separation of church and state. Obviously, our founding fathers would have found ideas such as state sanctioned same sex marriage reprehensible, but any moral argument against such a thing must be religious in nature. We are witnessing the enshrinment of human individuality and pursuit of self-gratification above all other things.

Without religion, the only moral principle people will generally agree upon is the wrongness of anything that damages someone else's person or property. Any argument against consensual polygamy is religious in nature. I suppose that, reasonably, it should be legal. I ought to be able to marry the statue of liberty if I so desire.

Saskia Simone and MLMVSS like this.
  17. I laughed about all the responses like 'the house will be extra clean' or 'extra food'...they never once saw it as them having to clean after two other people, or do all the cooking for three...

18. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

The statute of liberty is an inanimate object and cannot give consent. Marriage is between humans, who happen to have the ability to understand what marriage is and the commitment they’re making.

19. Twice as many sammiches too!

20. You're just being a closed minded statuephobe.

Spiff, Gotham Outlaw and Poseidon like this.