1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we really be that worried about this coronavirus?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Mistersofty, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Agreed. It’s like where I live and they’re anticipating a snow storm. They get everyone in a tizzy, warning people to stock up on bread, water, and other supplies in case we’re stuck in our homes for weeks because of 6 inches of snow.

2. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

True.

3. stygian

stygian Fapstronaut

Exactly.

onceaking likes this.
  4. JesusDied4me

JesusDied4me Fapstronaut

If it makes you feel any better, the COVID 19 virus, "Coronavirus" has a mortality rate of 3.4%, to give you an example, the H1N1 "Swine Flu" pandemic of 2009 had a mortality rate of 3% so about the same. And we survived it, so just be prepared as always and go on about daily activities, while being cautious if can.

Mistersofty likes this.
  5. You can't trust those projections since China has clearly been fudging their numbers. Also, the mortality rate is changing daily due to a not-so-high sample size. Corona is in my area and is already in the area of a number of people I know...

Mistersofty likes this.
  6. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard most of the deaths were old people or people who were already unhealthy? Have there been any deaths of healthy adults?

vxlccm likes this.
  7. BlindSisyphus

BlindSisyphus Fapstronaut

I believe the fatality rate is 3.4%, but remember that is with medical care. I believe 10%-20% of cases require medical intervention, and what happens when 30 million Americans need ventilators and medical care, plus all the usual medical issues like bacterial infections, drug overdoses, broken bones and the like?

There are not enough open hospital beds for that, nor is there enough medical staff for that. Old people and people already sick will likely die not just because of the virus but because frankly the US medical system is going to have to do triage on the whole country. You been smoking for years, have scarring in your lungs from the cancer you recovered from and are unemployed? Well you probably aren't getting a ventilator.

Are you able bodied, employed, and maintain an acceptably healthy lifestyle? You are much more likely to get a ventilator.

More people will die than just the 3.4% of the infected because of economic disturbances and lack of medical care.

Ju@n likes this.
  8. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yeah, I just heard this morning that the majority will get it. Most will have mild symptoms, and deaths will be mainly elderly people. That worries me the most because my parents are in their 70s and my grandmother is still alive as well. I don’t think any younger healthy adults have died though. But still, it’s scary to hear that the majority of people will get it regardless..

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

That’s a good point. I didn’t even think about all the non related health issues that need medical attention as well. The ripple effect will surely cause all kinds of other problems as well.

Ju@n likes this.
  10. Yeah, like BlindSisyphus said, there are a good chunk of people in serious condition and in need of hospital equipment, but hospitals are ill-equipped to help an entire country.

Also, the whistleblower doctor, Li Wenliang, died at age 34 which is not very old. They say he had it worse because he got a large dose of the virus from his patient. There are lots of factors. Just because you are young, doesn't mean you will survive.

Mistersofty and BlindSisyphus like this.
  11. BlindSisyphus

Yeah, and don't overdose in the coming months because the EMTs probably won't even show up.

Ju@n likes this.
  12. How bad is it in your area? What are you experiencing?
    There have been cases near my town, causing some schools and such to close. However, the majority of public services are not stopping.

13. BlindSisyphus

Hasn't gotten bad yet, I'm just not naïve.

Ju@n likes this.
  14. It depends on where you live and depends on the awareness of people about it

Coffee Candy, Mistersofty and Ju@n like this.
  15. People’s “awareness” in my area is terrible. No one thinks it is nearly as severe as it really is.

Mistersofty and Master Chips like this.
  16. Yes you are right, but there are also other factors, such as Hygiene awareness, also the economical and geographical awareness. Murica is still far away and has equipment to determine the virus yet some countries don't and their people are just careless, reckless and Coronavirus to them is just a joke.

vxlccm and Coffee Candy like this.
  17. vxlccm

vxlccm Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Well, since this thread started, the WHO etc are certainly continuing to take it seriously. I sure hope the loss of life is minimal, and all these efforts to stifle additional spread of contamination will be maximally successful.

Deleted Account and Gmork like this.
  18. I don't think it will be contained well. Local governments and companies can cancel things, but as long as people keep going outside, it will keep spreading. And you never really know where the virus is.

vxlccm likes this.
  19. Not to mention all the idiots who insist on completely ignoring the problem and acting like everything is fine.

I'm a part of a Disney group on Facebook, and some lady posted that since her kids are out of school for a few weeks and flights are so cheap, she's taking them to Disney World. Her kids are out of school because the schools shut down to encourage people to stay home, not to travel. Thankfully Disney closed, so stupid people can't go there right now anyway.

Ju@n likes this.
  20. Yeah, no one understands the severity.