1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

"Show Dogs" Movie Controversy

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 21, 2018.

1. https://foreverymom.com/arts-entertainment/dog-show-movie-review-grooming/

My husband just told me about this today, as he works at a movie theater and watched this movie to preview it. I, for one, think this is incredibly disturbing. I don't understand how this got past so many different people involved in the making of the film, to think "yeah, that sounds good, we should put that in this movie for children."

For those if you who don't want to read the article...

tl;dr,
    In this children's movie, a police dog has to go undercover in a dog show and has to have his private parts fondled, basically, because they do that in dog shows. He doesn't like it and doesn't want it to be done, but his partner practices the act on him anyway to get him comfortable with the process. He also teaches him to "go to his happy place" while it's happening, so it won't bother him as much.

In the words of Deadpool, what in the ass?! This is insane. Why on earth would a message like that be in a kids film? What a great message... let's teach kids that sometimes it's necessary for people to touch your private parts even when you don't want them to, and you can get through it by just thinking happy thoughts and letting them do it anyway. Disgusting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Wow. That is way messed up. What were they thinking. How sick and disturbed to you have to say "yeah that sounds like a great thing to put in a kids movie".

3. I'm having trouble believing this even though I shouldn't. Is this the whole plot of the movie?

4. No, not according to the article, but it is a significant point

5. It's not the whole plot, but it is two pretty prominent scenes. My husband said it was disturbing that the scene where the judge is checking the dog and the dog is going to his "Happy place" is actually one of the funniest parts of the movie. And I heard someone say that was their kids favorite part.

It's so disturbing to have to come home from the movie theater and talk to your kids about how their private parts are private and its never okay for anyone to touch them there and its not a joke. I mean of course you should have that conversation with your kids, but it shouldn't be something you feel you have to clarify after watching a movie because you feel like the movie sent mixed signals about that. That's not something that should ever be made confusing for children.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
  6. Content like that has no place in a kids movie period. I'm noticing more and more of these really twisted, sexual or innapropriate themes in children's entertainment.

https://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesa...ribly-wrong-with-many-kids-videos-on-youtube/

I came across this article on these twisted youtube videos with violent pedo undertones directed at children a while back and it was pretty distrubing. Last week I went by my parents house and they were babysitting my cousins daughter. She showed me her ipad( Yeah, my cousin is stupid enough to give her 4 year old daughter a fully connected ipad) these videos were all over the history and the descriptions alone were weird and disturbing. If I ever have kids, I would seriously have to raise them like we were Amish.

7. Do you have kids? Im just curious if you had to talk to them about it or if it was hypothetical.

8. No, I don't have kids. But other moms have talked about having to have that conversation when they got home from the movie, and I just think of how messed up that is to have to clarify that. It shouldn't need clarifying after a movie like that. So gross.

9. Amen to that.

10. The truth is that kids don't really need any of this stuff to lead happy productive lives and would probably be better off without it. It would be tough as hell to parent like this because once kids go to school they most likely would want to see ths stuff because other kids are into it. If I had kids, I would try to put severe limitations on the kind of media they consumed. It's tough because every single device comes with internet connectivity but i guess, if you want to raise kids right, you have to make the extra effort to raise them differently.

11. My parents were relatively strict, compared to the world, but kind of relaxed compared to the other parents at my church. I didn't mind for the most part. And now i definitely appreciate the way I was raised

12. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

That is so saddening. I don't even go to the movies anymore, but that is just so wrong. How could that script have been approved with that scene in it?

13. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Okay, I can see why they’d put this into the movie, considering fondling IS one part of a real dog show. That said, to me it’s humour more appropriate for an Adult Swim cartoon than it is for an actual kids show. I find it hilarious but it’s something kids shouldn’t be exposed to, especially unintentionally.

This, in the most extreme, can promote paedophilia, because it teaches kids that touching your private parts while in a zen-like phase is fun.

14. Sounds like a Weinstein production.

btwiseman, MLMVSS and Deleted Account like this.
  15. Yeah I really can't fathom how many adults are involved in making a film and had to have watched that and approved of it before it was sent into the world. It seems most anyone with common sense immediately sees how wrong this is, so how could so many people have been so blind?

16. Amen. You would think someone would have said “Wait, isn’t this a kids movie? Why do we need this and what message is it sending to our children?” One of the important lessons parents teach their kids apart from “stranger danger” is what parts on their body are off limits. This movie, even if not intentional, works to undermine that message.

17. Totally. It's messed up.

MLMVSS likes this.
  18. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

Just so you know "stranger danger" is quite outdated. 95% of child sexual abuse is from a family member, friend, coach, etc. basically someone the child knows well in their life. So when it comes to sexual abuse its better to teach kids safe and unsafe touch (saying good or bad touch can confuse the child because some bad touches feel good). Sorry just something I learned from my training for working with sexual assault and domestic violence victims.