1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

"Show Dogs" Movie Controversy

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 21, 2018.

1. Thanks. This is why I said “apart from” in my reply because I known the majority of abuse happens from people who are close to you, which was the abuse I encountered as a child. Plus I don’t see how “stranger danger” could ever be considered outdated.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
  2. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

Outdated in the sense that we teach kids to fear strangers but trust people we know... so we should be having a more inclusive conversation like strangers can be dangerous, but so can those around you that you know. I know I grew up thinking only strangers could be a danger because of that saying. Never did I think those in my life that I knew, that I called my friends, boyfriends, would be the ones to abuse me. And worse off, I even questioned if it was abuse, given they are family, they are friends, etc.

3. I agree with both statements. It's important to know that strangers are dangerous, but it's also important to know that that doesn't automatically mean anyone who isn't a stranger is safe always.

My sister used to have code words with her kids sometimes, especially if someone else was going to pick them up from church or something. She would change the word every day or whatever, so that way even if someone they knew came to pick them up, they would only be allowed to take them if she had given them the code word for that day. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

Although when they first learned about the new system one of my nephews immediately told me what the code word was. Lol we had to explain to him again that if he tells people the word, then it defeats the purpose.