1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

So how do you get out of depression?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by zxcv, Aug 4, 2019.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

Like I said I've been depressed lately. I've been dealing depression for off and on for over 13 years and things really don't seem to get be getting any better. I've tried exercise, nothing, depression meds nothing, basically nothing I've tried has worked. I'm not sure what to do or how to fix things and make things better.

2. smoke_ash

smoke_ash Fapstronaut

Maybe you had meds that don't suit you well or the dose was wrong. You need to remember that severe cases of depression are impossible to handle without medication. A good doctor usually can decide how bad is your case and find the proper one. And it depends on the class of antidepressants, dose, the duration and so on. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is the most powerful self-help tool you can use. It's great if you can afford a therapist, but even without one you can make good progress. I've checked other therapy schools, such as Gestalt, but CBT is the easiest and the fastest to give results. Google something about 'automatic thought record" for a start. Good luck!

3. Diet is important, you may have an intolerance you don't know of. Exercise is always beneficial but won't get you out of a deep depression. Being outdoors though even if it's just in the backyard is important too to get the vit D. Socializing helps although it can be hard. Then setting daily goals even if really small like doing the dishes, you need some sense of accomplishment. Sitting in front of the tv or pc all day is definitely going to worsen depression, staying in bed too.
    If nothing else helps, a bigger dose of SSRIs or a different one
    If that still doesn't work, look into CBD oil or something, maybe even electro convulsion therapy

4. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

I've tried CBT too it really hasn't helped much.

5. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

Whoa, my specialty lol Just kidding, I'm not a therapist, but I've recently faced my worst bout of depression. It comes and goes nowadays, mostly because of a failed relationship, but overall has improved dramatically. Long form, I recommend this:
    https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.p...ilosophy-for-a-good-life.235280/#post-2083496

Depression is a response from your brain/body that you are in a painful/hurtful position. No one proved that a chemical imbalance is the cause of depression, it's a correlation, so the SSRI drugs won't help you much - apparently they are as effective as placebo (no wonder). The pain and hurt come from your emotional state, emotional state being influenced primarily by your environment and by your nervous system. You have a nerve, called the vagus nerve, that connects all the organs in our body and give our brain the "gut feeling" (the gut has a nerve mesh, developed before our brains were developed, coming from our pre-fish ancestors). Today's society tells you that you shouldn't listen to your gut feeling because it's a knee jerk / impulsive reaction; if we're talking about buying a Tesla (oh, I love Tesla), then yes, it's an impulse reaction. But in many cases, your gut reaction is the real indication of what you like or dislike.

Anyways, depression means pain, pain comes from the emotional state, emotions come from sensations in your body. If you live in an environment that doesn't positively excite your senses, then you will be disconnected from the sensations, under-stimulated, and you'll develop emotional issues that then give you depression. So depression = disconnect from environment, or living in a hurtful environment.

I have identified a few types of disconnects, after some introspection and reading, that I think may help alleviate some depression issues:
    - disconnect from nature
    - disconnect from meaningful work (i.e. bad work environment)
    - disconnect from people
    - disconnect from self (this has to do with childhood emotional trauma and a therapist would give much better advice than I could)

So I can recommend to go out more in nature, cut out screen time as much as possible, assess whether your job brings you pain or is not satisfactory and go for a beer with a friend and tell him a trouble or two of yours; not all. Finally, dealing with our childhood pain will help with understanding our knee jerk reactions and self-defeating behaviours that are currently harming us.

Good luck!