1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Social anxiety issues

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by AxBlaim, Feb 6, 2019.

1. AxBlaim

AxBlaim Fapstronaut

First off, I need to address this:

Just by abstaining PMO for 5 days and taking cold showers in the morning has skyrocketed my confidence like I've never experienced before. I can make eye contact and approach people a lot better and my anxiety is non existent when i'm around people. Im glad I found out about nofap before ruining my life

However, there have been some outcomes where I avoid talking to people unintentionally. For example, deciding to speak in public. I know that I can speak publicily now since I'm extremely confident in expressing myself but deciding it in a split second would make me panic therefore I would choose not to talk just like what I usually do in that situation. This would lead to self hatred as I would question, "Why did I do that? I could have done better if I tried"

I know this is probably just a habit that I've endured for years and that I cant change my habit overnight but do these habits go away overtime?

Asgardian36, Irator and McNugget-32 like this.
  2. I used to have social anxiety what really helped me was the fact that not everyone is not going to like you and I like you used to always think about what I could have done better , but do you know why your thinking that? its because your people pleasing trying to get everyone to like you and avoid dislike and rejection something that is IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. You have to form your own individual identity and realise there is no cool lines or witty talk THERE WILL BE PEOPLE THAT LIKE YOU AND PEOPLE THAT DISLIKE YOU AND PEOPLE THAT DO LIKE YOU WONT LIKE YOU ALL THE TIME. Its draining to get people to like you one of my favorite things I tell myself now is I AM NOT FOR EVERYONE if someone didn't like what I am doing or saying or even writing or were I am working at how tall i am or how much money I don't have i remind myself I AM ME ,I AM NOT THE RIGHT FIT FOR EVERYBODY. Its a big pressure off my shoulders

3. AxBlaim

AxBlaim Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice man. I'm actualy implementing these techniques as I'm writing this. I know where I stand as an individual, I can make decisions for myself(This was impossible last week) and I don't stutter when I talk to people(especially with the opposite sex). Its just that when I'm caught in a moment where I have to make a quick decision, I implement my old habits and therefore avoid the situation. For example if I was asked to join a party, there is a chance I might say no when I want to say and therefore this would lead to self hatred because I know what I want but I instead avoided the situation like the choice was out of my control. If I was given a chance to think, I can make decisions for myself and my confidence would skyrocket.

Should I just ask for a timeout to think and process whenever i'm asked a question? I dont want to do this as this would lead to awkwardness

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Hmm always putting yourself to a standard leads to freezing up in the moment and people pleasing and trying to think there is a correct answer. My question to you is . why do you feel you have to answer every question? I found most women who like you are very comfortable talking about themsevels think of questions you want to ask them. Don't feel the need to have a correct or witty answer Your YOU , YOU HAVE VALUE TO YOU KNOW and if people don't like you and there will be people like that remember EVERYBODY IS NOT THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOU

Asgardian36 and AxBlaim like this.
  5. CH3RRY

CH3RRY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

I used to feel a lot like this too. I know exactly the situation you're describing. I started battling these doubtful thoughts by backfiring myself with a question "Do you want to be like you were before, do you want to feel defeated afterwards?". This always makes me do the thing I'm contemplating on doing. You need to shut down all the other thoughts and just think about how it will make you feel when you actually go through with it. When you are contemplating in a situation, you will know if it's the right thing to do to make you feel good. And it always feels like you have won, like you achieved something. It can be so petty and minor but it's still a battle inside your head. This mentality has actually even sometimes made me overdo things. Like I've done something insignificant but I had to do it in order to "win" myself. Also when you achieve these small victories they lead up to other victories. A good example is when you have a good talk with someone, after it ends and you run into another person, you will also flow in a conversation with that person. It's important to keep things flowing.

Deleted Account and AxBlaim like this.
  6. AxBlaim

AxBlaim Fapstronaut

Before this week, I thought that social anxiety was my main issue that I had to deal with but after reading your reply, reading multiple articles and watching videos about people pleasers, it turns out that I've been pleasing people my whole life. I envy when people have conversations because I feel like Im not loved and that I have to force to stir up a conversation with someone to please them; to get approval from them that Im a good person. That will change today. Thank you for your motivational quotes. This has definetly woke me up

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. AxBlaim

AxBlaim Fapstronaut

That is exactly what I'm doing. I'm doing what is best for me and will make me happy. Thank you for your advice

8. Your Welcome, I used to try to be a people pleaser myself always trying to think of the right things to say and do and all I got out of it was frustration and overthinking and anxiety what really turned me around was reading a book called NO MORE MR NICE GUY BY DR ROBERT GLOVER he also has a website were you can see what he is all about also another book called NOT NICE BY DR. AZIZ is also good but Dr. Glovers book really opened my eyes to things . Also I quote I remind myself frequently that is helpful is this I AM NOT FOR EVERYONE

Optimum Fortitude and AxBlaim like this.
  9. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

I used to be painfully shy. You can change.

AxBlaim likes this.