1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Social book?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by fapequalsdeath, Sep 19, 2015.

1. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

I am searching for a book which generalizes the art of connecting with people, forming new relationships, holding a conversation, and calibrating to the circumstance of which you are found. Any suggestions ?

2. Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor Distinguished Fapstronaut

When I was in college a friend of mine read How to Make Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie, and said it really helped him become more social.

I never read it, but, after a quick google search, it looks like many people hold it in high regard, including Warren Buffet.

Calm and JoePineapples like this.
  3. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

Well was hoping for a less "popular" suggestion but it must really be that good if people recommend it. My only worry is that it might be slightly outdated but social norms haven't changed alot since then.

4. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

It is a super simple read. The examples in it are very much 'outdated'. However, don't let the simplicity fool you. Much of the advice proffered is timeless.

In my mind, I imagine a book existing called "Chameleon". In college there was one man I knew with a powerful gift. You could dump him in the middle of any group of humans and he would adapt and come out of it a highly functioning member of the community. I have no idea how he did it.

As a more practical suggestion that you might not have thought, consider pickup artists. Granted the goals and subject matter of most of the material there is a bit suspicious, but it can answer your basic question with a modern take. It is surprising how many of your listed goals are addressed directly by someone like David DeAngelo. It has been years since I watched any of those videos, but I know his earlier videos taught me quite a bit (granted I have/had very little social skill to begin with so any path I took was headed up).

JoePineapples likes this.