1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Social skills while in university, and P-induced social anxiety

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by sfwfox, Jun 29, 2018.

1. sfwfox

sfwfox New Fapstronaut

Hi all,

I am a university student who will graduate within the next two years. One year ago, I stopped going on some "sites", and got a relationship fairly quickly after (with someone I've known since high school). Nowadays, it's excessive M that I'm battling, as well as intrusive P thoughts during the day (some images are still there in my head, even though I stopped such a long time ago).

A few questions about social skills:
    • How do I start conversations with other people who are on their smartphones all day? Do I just ignore those people, even if they're sitting next to me? I feel as though more and more people these days are isolating themselves on their smartphones, and I'm not sure what to do about that, since I don't have an extensive real-life social network.
    • There are times when I notice the person next to me is not on a smartphone, but I get nervous about starting a conversation because they're a girl...
    In fact, I've had trouble talking to girls ever since elementary school, and I've literally been accused of being gay over it, when it was just excessive P distorting my thoughts, back then.
    Nowadays, I'm still here with barely any "small talk" skills. When it comes to girls, the anxiety kicks in, and I'm scared of being called a creep and just "looking for a sexual relationship". In fact, I'm already in such a relationship, so I have even less incentive to start a conversation with other girls due to this fear.

I recognize how silly it is, but I guess that due to P, I've never really understood the concept of having a "platonic female friend", and so never really had any close ones that I can open up to (except one, formerly, but now it's beyond "friend"). Either way, I feel as though it would really help for me to expand my network to be diverse in terms of gender, too.

Any help here would be appreciated -- thanks in advance. I'm already on a few days no-M streak after lurking for a while on these forums, and I'm wondering if there's anything more I can do.

A41:14A likes this.
  2. r8js

r8js Fapstronaut

very expressed urself.

A41:14A likes this.