1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Sola scriptura

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. dlansky

dlansky Fapstronaut

I don't know why you limit yourself to 500 years of men discerning Scripture when Christ gave us 2,000.

2. !mkj!

!mkj! Fapstronaut

The Catechism of the Catholic Church says it is, "an organic presentation of the Catholic faith in its entirety."(CCC 18) So I guess you could say the Magisterium of the Church (who approved and promulgated it) considers it the Sacred Tradition of the Church. If that be he case then I stand corrected.

And if that is in fact true, then anything that stands in opposition to the Catechism is not part of Sacred Tradition. All the objections brought up by "Traditional" Catholics against Vatican 2 and the Catechism such as not accepting Ecumenism, etc. as presented and promoted by the Catechism are in opposition to Sacred Tradition and therefore contrary to the will of God. That is of course it you accept the teaching that Sacred Tradition is just as much the Word of God as the Sacred Scriptures are.(cf CCC 80-83) and that the Magisterium (Pope and bishops in union with him) have the authority and grace to make that declaration.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  3. dlansky

dlansky Fapstronaut

Cardinal Ratzinger (who later became Pope Benedict XIV) wrote in an introduction to the Catechism in 2005 that "the individual doctrine which the Catechism presents receive no other weight than that which they already possess. The weight of the Catechism itself lies in the whole."

So, things that previously required the assent of faith still do; things that only required submission of mind and will previously do not become more authoritative. Prudential judgments remain prudential judgments.

However, it is a great place to start and to understand where the mind of the Church is today. Some prudential judgments may shift over time (for example, on the question of whether there are still any circumstances where the death penalty is really necessary, to which the Church currently says "no") but the constant moral teaching will remain the same.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020