1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Some Gifts Require a Bit of Effort

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Last Saturday my wife and I made a long trek to a parish that stated in their weekly newsletter that they were offering Blessed Adoration followed by mass. We went in eager anticipation because it has been so long since our own parish has offered Blessed Adoration.

We arrived only to find that adoration had been pre-empted by a requiem mass. As we sat there craving the opportunity of a silent communion in the presence of our Lord, instead we got a performance of organ music that was a mashup of pieces from various eras and styles with no obvious theme or enhancement to prayer. We stayed for mass only to hear a long meandering eulogy with tenuous comparisons to the day's Gospel.

The experience was something like craving a rich warm casserole but instead being served cold thin soup. I tempered my disappointment as best I could and I was rewarded with the Gospel from John 15: 15, 16
    "I do not speak of you any more as my servants; a servant is one who does not understand what his master is about, whereas I have made known to you all that my Father has told me; and so I have called you my friends.
    16 It was not you that chose me, it was I that chose you. The task I have appointed you is to go out and bear fruit, fruit which will endure; so that every request you make of the Father in my name may be granted you.

I was frustrated by the service because it was not what I dearly wanted but I cannot deny what a fantastic thought I was given by the Gospel reading. To be Jesus's friend! Can the amazing joy and love of being chosen by Christ to be His friend be overstated? I think not. Clearly, it was worth the effort.

Keli, again and Reb10 like this.