1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Song covers that are better than the originals

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Liege Blåhaj, Dec 10, 2022.

1. I thought it would be fun if we all shared our thoughts about which famous song covers that you think are better than the song's original rendition/ performance. I'll start off:

"Girls Just Want To Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper

Not many people realize this, but Cyndi Lauper didn't write this song. The song was originally written and performed by Robert Hazard in 1979. It has a punkish vibe. The song is written from the male perspective about a teenage boy whose parents are bothering him about why he isn't dating.

In 1983 Cyndi Lauper released her version of it, made it more poppy, and turned it into a feminist anthem of independence and rejecting parental expectations. The accompanying music video won a Grammy for sass I believe. :p I like this version so much better. It has a much more richer texture, a more appealing beat, and it's not rushed like Robert Hazard's version.

2. I didn't know that about the Lauper song.
    Lots of artists back in the day didn't write.

I liked most of Van Halen's covers better than the originals,
    Dancing in the Street, Oh Pretty Woman.

Twisted Sister was rare in that when they toured,
    they played a lot of covers. I wonder what they did,
    how it sounded.

3. Dangeresque2

Dangeresque2 Fapstronaut

That's not too uncommon. Eric Clapton did not write "Cocaine". It was J.J. Cale. The Clapton version is definitely better.

Another one you probably know is Bowling for Soup's "1985". That is also a cover. They also did a cover of the Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom". I think their "1985" is better but not their "Stacy's Mom".

I didn't realize "The Boys of Summer" was actually an 80s song because the first time I heard it was the cover by the Ataris. Although I like the original Don Henley version better.

I like the Disturbed version of "The Sound of Silence" more than the original Simon and Garfunkel version.

I love this thread idea, because I absolutely love music!

4. You beat me to it...this is my favorite cover ever. I'm a Disturbed fan anyway, but their version conveys the original message sooo much better. Their live performance on Conan is even better than the original video, and Paul Simon was so impressed with that performance that he linked it on his own social media. If you haven't seen it, you should check it out. It's amazing.

Lady Blåhaj and Kingfisher like this.
  5. I like Nirvana's cover of The Man Who Sold The World (original by David Bowie) and Cash's cover of Hurt (original by Nine Inch Nails).

6. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

I adore the original, but this is one of my fav songs ever.

hope4healing and Lady Blåhaj like this.
  7. Oh wow I didn't know that about Van Halen. Been a fan of them since I was kid. Van Halen can make anything sound better I think with their distinctive style haha.

Wow did not know that about both songs. Never liked "Stacy's Mom" in any performance, didn't know Bowling for Soup covered it. Who originally performed 1985?

Oh boy this is tough one for me. I love both versions. I absolutely adore Simon and Garfunkel and there is a feeling of loyalty there to say their version is the best... but I have to agree the Disturbed version has better atmosphere.

I personally prefer David Bowie's version :). I like the different effects he uses on his voices it adds a layer of richness that I enjoy. But Nirvana's cover is definitely good, like everything they sung haha. I think it's just that while I do like some Nirvana songs, I've always been a bigger fan of Bowie and I prefer his style.

Oh I love Cash's cover of Hurt!

This is a good song. I like it. Never heard it before. Who sung the original?

And yeah I understand that. Sometimes it's hard to chose when you love both versions dearly. I love NENA's 99 Luftballons but I think I like Goldfinger's cover slightly better.

8. Here's another one of mine:

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow"- by Israel Kamakawiwoʻole

I love Big IZ! His songs make me so happy! And his version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is one of my favorites. And all he needed was a catchy chord progression on his uke and his rich, sweet voice. I like the story behind this recording too: this song was recording in one take at 3 am at a recording studio after a tough day of working with a bunch of teenage girls who couldn't sing and trying to make them sound good. After that the person who recorded the song was exhausted and just wanted to go home but agreed to record Iz sing this before leaving. Iz sat down, sung this and it was all done in one take. After he was done the recording artist said something along the lines of "Now that's real music."

The original, of course, was sung by Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz. Her version has a longing to it which is absent in Iz's version. I don't really like it but it fits the story in the movie of course. I feel that Judy Garlands's "somewhere" is distant, far away, while Iz's "somewhere" is right here and now, if you just stop to see it. That's why I like Iz's version more, it's more happy and optimistic.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    hope4healing and TGAguy like this.
  9. SR-71

GigglingTrout and Lady Blåhaj like this.
  10. I like James Taylor's "Everyday".

Lady Blåhaj likes this.
  11. black_coyote

black_coyote Fapstronaut

Free Fallin- The original version is by Tom Perry

I love the version by John Mayer

hope4healing likes this.
  12. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

Bruce Springsteen :)

13. Jacky198

Jacky198 Fapstronaut

Led Belly: Where did you Sleep Last Night?
    Nirvana did it better in their unplugged album.

14. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

Every cover of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” sounds better than Leonard Cohen. But then, it was a dirge, emotional, raw, in pain. Just learned he pitched the song to 180 producers, and was turned down by every single one. Bob Dylan covered it a couple times, but it didn’t catch on until a version by Rufus Wainwright played on the Dreamworks film “Shrek.” Now it’s a Christmas song, or more likely a Hanukah song.

You guys mentioned Disturbed’s cover of “Sound of Silence.” Pentatonix also has a legit version. I’m reluctant to claim “better” than Disturbed or Simon & Garfunkel, but definitely rock solid.

I personally like covers of “Seven Nation Army,” originally by the White Stripes. Nostalgia 77 has one with 1026% more soul, and Ben L’Oncle’s has more pep. I appreciate Jack White’s aesthetic and Meg White’s rhythmic, dogged whacking she calls drumming, but these other two are preferable imo.

Old songs you didn’t know were covers: R-E-S-P-E-C-T by Aretha Franklin was originally written and performed by Otis Redding.

The song “Dream On” is still associated with Aerosmith, but I like Kelly Sweet’s better.

Back in that genre of covers reimagined in a counterintuitive style, Godsmack’s “Come Together,” originally the Beatles (though they sort of really stole the song from Chuck Berry, “You Can’t Catch Me”), is pretty great. Linkin Park’s version of Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” is worth a listen.

My all time favorite, though, is Brittney Spear’s “Toxic” covered by French-Israeli singer Yale Naim. The song was always comparing the emotions of a crush with a “toxic” drug, but Naim changed the drug from a frenetic, impulsive stimulant, to a maudlin downer. The slow arrangement gives the listener space to appreciate the anxiety, desperation, and helplessness in the lyrics. And to think, the deceptive beat basically defined 2003.

15. InformalPermit8701

InformalPermit8701 Fapstronaut

"I Will Always Love You" was originally written and performed by Dolly Parton as a goodbye of sorts to Porter Wagoner when Dolu left to pursue a solo career. I like Dolly's version more.

"Back to the Island" is a Leon Russell song, but to me Jimmy Buffett's cover version is the better if the two. Russell's original sounds like a dying cat to my ears.

Since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, The Blanks have a cover of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" which I also prefer.

The last one I want to mention is an oldie, well it's an oldie where I come from.
    "Johnny B. Goode" was made famous by Chuck Berry but was originally performed by a little known musician named Calvin Klein. He first performed it at a school dance back in 1955. He doesn't get the credit he deserves unfortunately.

1 Peter 4 and Meshuga like this.
  16. Oh that's a classic. I like John Mayer's voice better than Tom Petty's. He makes it sound somehow more Americana.
    Ah, should of known that! Guess I don't know Bruce Springsteen's library as well as I thought.
    Yeah I prefer the Nirvana version too. But then again while I like the blues I need my blues songs to have a fast beat, I don't care for slow blues songs much.
    Wow didn't know that. Thought this song was always popular. I like the Pentatonix cover of this song.

Yes the Pentatonix version is solid. I love most of their covers. They do a good Bohemian Rhapsody as well. But my favorite I think is their cover of Radioactive by Imagine Dragons they did with Lindsey Stirling.

Franklin did a lot of covers. I like Respect. Also her cover of Eleanor Rigby.

Oh wow. Checked it out. Love it! Reminds me of my weepy drunk moments.

Wow hadn't heard this before! It's like a barbershop quartet version of the song but with a ukulele! Interesting they followed Iz for most of the song but ended it like Judy Garland did.

Wow didn't know that! And yeah have no idea who Calvin Klein is. Tried to look it up to check it out but couldn't even find a recording.

I think my favorite version of this song is Marty McFly's cover. :p

Hadn't heard this song before. I like it! A nice catchy love song.

17. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

/r whoosh

18. So it appears. :p

My actual favorite cover of Johnny B Good is Peter Tosh's cover.

Any song's better with a reggae beat.

19. BTF joke. Good one.

20. I like the Pentatonix version as well, but it's very different...so different that it almost seems like a different song so comparing them...or even to the original...is kinda apples to oranges.

Meshuga likes this.