1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Song covers that are better than the originals

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Liege Blåhaj, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Dangeresque2

Dangeresque2 Fapstronaut

SR-71 was the original band that did "1985". The lyrics are slightly different I think.

2. Cirilla

Cirilla Guest

I wouldn't say it's better per se, but here are two of my favourite covers ever. Muse also did HOTRS, but I prefer Lauren's :)

hope4healing and Lady Blåhaj like this.
  3. The cover most people knew of - both songs were a product of it's era

vs
    The extremely obscure original

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2022
    Lady Blåhaj likes this.
  4. Not a fan of Weezer but I like their Take on Me cover better than the original.

Also their Africa cover is awesome because of Weird Al, but it's a toss up whether it's better than the original.

5. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Oh shit! I can get behind this discussion!
    I have a ton, but i'll name a few that are fantastic.

Nina Simone - "Sinnerman"
    I can honestly put almost all of Nina Simone's songs because she takes the original and completely reinvents it and make its her own.
    She's the High Priestess of Soul and Jazz for a reason! Legend, icon, and genius.

VS

Les Baxter's - "Sinnerman"

The Rolling Stones - "Shake Your Hips"
    Holy shit, does this song drip of primal, raw sexual prowess!
    Makes me wanna strip myself of all mi clothes and get my hump on... or get into a bar fight!
    Slim Harpo is a legend and he should not be forgotten either.

VS

Slim Harpo - "Shake Your Hips"

Dead Kennedys - "Viva Las Vegas"
    Utterly buries the original completely, but then again, it's the fucking Dead fucking Kennedys!
    One of my absolute favorite covers ever! Not sorry Mr. Presley

VS

Elvis Presley - "Viva Las Vegas"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MO1KyNUOIs

Mr. Bungle - "The Stroke"
    Just like Dead Kennedys, you can never go wrong with Bungle.
    Fucking hilarious and badass cover of Billy Squire!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWsG-4V31Ns

VS

Billy Squire - "The Stroke"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtIlG87_D28

Diamanda Galas - "Pardon Me I've Got Someone To Kill"
    Once again, can never go wrong with Diamanda, my main woman!
    The Devil's wife they call her, the Mistress of Distress coming from the disemboweled guts of Hell.
    Don't worry, this is a calm cover and not one of her scary songs, and she sings it quite beautiful as well!
    She never ceases to leave me in absolute awe.
    Another fucking genius! I love her so much, she buries the original.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27inffaNVps

VS

Johnny Paycheck - "(Pardon Me) I've Got Someone to Kill"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJsMaCoqkkg

There's plenty of more where zat came from, but there ya go!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
  6. UB40's cover of "Red Red Wine" is so good that apparently the original writer of the song, Neil Diamond, plays UB40'S arraignment at his concerts and not his own.

7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Pretty much anything by Robyn Adele Anderson. She tends to totally transform anything she covers and makes it her own. I won't post her videos because they might be triggering to some. They're not as bad as most pop music videos and I've never been triggered by them but some might struggle with them.

Grace VanderWaal's cover of I Can See Clearly Now is wonderful, it's on my mental health playlist on Spotify.

Hannah Grace's cover of Praise You is beautiful.

Lady Blåhaj likes this.
  8. Wow. Love this. Somehow made that song more uplifting, and that's a feat. Thanks for sharing.

onceaking likes this.
  9. Funkytown:

The original by Lipps Inc:

The cover, which I like more, by Pseudo Echo:

hope4healing, Lady Blåhaj and upendo like this.

10. I’m not gonna lie. First version annoys me, Listening to it at work24/7 does get to you though. I can’t stand Candy anymore either… Lol

Brain-Police likes this.
  11. Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell Fapstronaut

12. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I find I take more notice of the lyrics with this version. The part when she sings, "I accept all the things that I cannot change" speaks to me. It's important to accept that there are you cannot change.

13. Maybe part of it is the accompanying music video? I often find that a music video that's really well done and artistically reflects the theme of the song makes the experience of listening to the song more powerful. Another example that comes readily to mind: I love Pearl Jam's song "Just Breathe" and their original version is definitely still my favorite rendition of the song. But though I don't like his version better, I love Willie Nelson's version of the song because of the music video. It's absolutely beautiful that he framed the song as a duet between himself and his son and turned the song into a farewell when that inevitable time comes when they will have to save a forever goodbye to each other. That's so powerful.

I think in the case of Grace VanderWaal's music video it shows how much pain she is in and how, despite that, she decides to have a good day. I think that very nicely illustrates, like you said, that it is possible to be happy in adverse circumstances, and that we have so much power over how we look at life and how happy we are.

hope4healing likes this.
  14. Wow, I love this! The 40s Jazz theme fits this song so well.

toziko likes this.
  15. Jorge Ben is a genius regardless, but I believe it still that Zé Ramalho have done it better. In a lyrical and musical sense, the original one has a lot of mystical feeling. However, Ramalho's version kept this quality while adding a modern tone.

Brain-Police likes this.
  16. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Well, I first noticed it by listening to the audio only. Really I don't watch many videos.

17. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

I absolutely love GNR's original "Patience"

But I'd have to give Chris Cornell's cover a slight edge because the emotional impact is harder from his death.

18. lemosiii

lemosiii Fapstronaut

Strength Beyond Strength by Whitechapel (originally by Pantera).

They took Pantera's version and made it so much more...evil! It just sounds amazing.

19. TheLoneWolf88

TheLoneWolf88 Fapstronaut

Orgy - Blue Monday (originally by New Order)

This is the single version, which is better than their watered down studio version

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023