Spam: Possible way to reduce it?

Discussion in 'NoFap Technical Support and Feedback' started by Mordobarn, Feb 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mordobarn

Mordobarn Fapstronaut

These forums are getting a horrible amount of spam with a consistent structure.

May I suggest that you automatically refuse to accept a post if both of the following apply…
    • Contains a slash ("/") in the title OR contains a URL in the post
    • The poster has no other approved posts

2. bobross

bobross Fapstronaut

The thing is, the spammer could just replace the / with a space...it's difficult to implement a reliable measure, I think it's better to have some spam than to inadvertently turn someone away through all kinds of new acc limitations.
    Maybe another filter could be addee for advertisement, similar to the one that prevents certain 'triggering' phrases? Block things like keto, ketamine, supplement...if someone wants to discuss something like this, they can figure a way to rephrase, but for a spam post it would be a huge hindrance

3. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman
    Staff Member

Thank you for your suggestion. While we cannot disclose how our spam protocols are setup, please rest assured that we are constantly updating it to minimize the amount of spam shown to users. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we’ll ever reach zero.

Mordobarn likes this.
  4. Mordobarn

Mordobarn Fapstronaut

@bobross , I believe that the spam with "/" in the title is done by a bot, not a human. It's a URL and nothing more, which is why refusing the slash under that specific circumstance will solve it.

Someone genuinely wanting to discuss keto, supplements, etc., would have difficulty in finding replacement terminology, especially for those whose first language isn't English (there are many such people). I would struggle, and I am well educated in English as a first language.

Also, few such people would have never before made a post, so they wouldn't be caught anyway. The restriction would apply only to first-time posters. From what I've seen, every bot is a first-time poster under each bot account.

I really do think that my suggestion would be highly effective, without affecting bona fide posters.