1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Trek Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jun 17, 2021.

1. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Well to me it just seems so unbelievable. Where do you draw the line? Can odo legit create an internal organ system that can create dopamine in order to experience pleasure the way a Solid can? If so then they would have to be able to create sll the brain chemicals it takes in order for them to feel pleasure the same way a solid does. The complexity in order to do that is so far fetched.

I didn't mind him simping after the other changeling cause to me it just emphasized the fact that Solids simply can't offer the pleasure to a changeling as another changeling can. In a way it just proved my point how unrealistic a relationship of that nature is.

Yea I wanted to point out the last confrontation as well but I didn't want to rant on for too long. I didn't really like the arc of Dukat. Him becoming a religious fanatic that is, but I see how it can make sense. The death of his daughter was the last straw to where he just finally snapped. He was always so cool, manipulative, and calculating, and then when you finally see the facade break down while he was being transported to earth was an amazing scene. Finally seeing all his hate and frustration that was built up inside of him blow out was great. I just didn't like where they went with him after that. He became a comic book villain it seemed to me.

2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I have to assume Founders who have been part of the Great Link their entire lives can do this, because if they couldn't, then they would never be able to infiltrate other societies. You would not even need a blood test or phaser sweep to check, you could just scan to see if the organs in the person's body were actually functioning and were not just facsimiles. This is a very Trek problem honestly, not delving deep enough into the implications of the thing they are setting up.

I think it's more the way it's presented that irks me a little. Linking is clearly not sexual, and is in fact more spiritual than anything. Once in the Link you cease to be an individual and return to the collective. It's intimate sure, but not sexual in nature. You achieve a sort of Nirvana. In season 6 they showed it as basically being the equivalent of sex just "better" and I think that diminished the original intent. In those episodes it's almost depicted as Odo cheating on Kira or something, and it just comes across as odd. It might just be me but the scenes stood out to me when I watched recently.

I'll be watching Waltz tonight, and will comment on this more as I go. I am inclined to agree though, I almost feel like Gul Dukat should have died or something, because after Waltz it seems like he is there just because he "needed" to be.

3. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

"From the moment we arrived on Bajor it was clear that we were the superior race, but they couldn't accept that. They wanted to be treated as equals, when they most certainly were not. Militarily, technologically, culturally – we were almost a century ahead of them in every way. We did not choose to be the superior race. Fate handed us that role and it would have been so much easier on everyone if the Bajorans had simply accepted their role. But no… day after day they clustered in their temples and prayed for deliverance and night after night they planted bombs outside of our homes. Pride… stubborn, unyielding pride. From the servant girl that cleaned my quarters, to the condemned man toiling in a labor camp, to the terrorist skulking through the hills of Dahkur Province… they all wore their pride like some… twisted badge of honor."
    "And you hated them for it."
    "Of course I hated them! I hated everything about them! Their superstitions and their cries for sympathy, their treachery and their lies, their smug superiority and their stiff-necked obstinacy, their earrings, and their broken, wrinkled noses!"
    "You should have killed them all, hm?"
    "Yes! Yes!! That's right, isn't it?! I knew it. I've always known it. I should've killed every last one of them! I should've turned their planet into a graveyard the likes of which the galaxy had never seen! I should've killed them all."
    "And that is why you're not an evil man."

God damn Waltz is such a good episode. Very few shows can make an entire episode that is just two people talking and have it be so gripping.

4. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Yea one of the greatest moments in DS9, maybe even one of the greatest in star trek period. Absolutely amazing scene. That whole quote gives me chills everytime I hear it. It's just such a joy finally seeing him for what he is and him finally embracing it.

5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

It's one of many reasons why DS9 is my favourite. The slow build-up to this, over 6 seasons, makes it so good when it finally happens. It puts everything that Dukat has said and done until that point into a new context and adds a new dimension to enjoy when you go back and rewatch. Many stories pull of a redemption of a villain. Very few pull of the attempted, then eventual sabotage of a redemption arc so well.

Vanquisher12 likes this.
  6. the300clean

the300clean Fapstronaut

i loved the android Beta at the show the next generation. i always thought how easy and fun it is to live a life of full focus without lust.

7. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

Indeed.

8. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Okay so assuming Changelings can shape shift into fully functional humans with a organ system, blood vessel's, a nervous system, etc, so what about inanimate objects? A few times odo used inanimate objects to hide so is it possible for a changeling to shape-shift into a fully functional photon torpedo that can even explode? Lmao the image im getting is just too funny.

9. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Odo can actually turn into a fully functional replica of the entire galaxy. We can only pray he does not unlock his true potential.

10. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

"Call anybody you want, they can't do anything to me, not any more, and nor can any of you. I am a Human being, dammit! You can deny me all you want but you can't deny Ben Sisko – He exists! That future, that space station, all those people – they exist in here! In my mind. I created it. And everyone of you knew it, you read it. It's here. Do you hear what I'm telling you? You can pulp a story but you cannot destroy an idea, don't you understand, that's ancient knowledge, you cannot destroy an idea. That future – I created it, and it's real! Don't you understand? It is real. I created it. And it's real! IT'S REAL! Oh God!"

Far Beyond the Stars. Another brilliant episode with an all-time great performance from Avery Brooks. I have to say, some of the lines are a little preachy and overall the moral is simplistic, but it's so well done anyway that it hardly matters.

Vanquisher12 likes this.
  11. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Its a bit preachy but it's a wonderful episode. It was nice seeing all the actors and actresses out of costume as well. Very refreshing episode. My only complaint is I wish they just left it a stand alone episode. They tried to reimplement the premise of this episode in the start of the 7th season and it was random as hell. They used it so randomly. Everytime he began erasing words of the story off the wall Sisko began re-burying the Orb, and when he began rewriting he began unburying the orb. That was it. That was all they used it for. So random. I heard one of the producers was trying to pitch that all of DS9 was a dream and maybe this was them first trying to imply that the show was a dream. Thank God that pitch never made it. I'm already not a fan of the ending and next thing I know it was all a dream? God that would have been a huge slap in the dick.

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

To be fair, they already set up the vision stuff in the episode where Sisko discovers the ancient Bajoran city. On the whole though I agree with you. In general a lot of the Bajoran religion stuff feels intrusive towards the end, like I know it's important and has technically been a part of the show even before the Dominion stuff, but damn I dont care anywhere near as much about the former as I do the latter.

13. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

The vision stuff was fine. Its when they decided to show the scene of him in a psych ward writing on the walls implying someone from the 1960's is writing the DS9 story and we are seeing it play out in real time. I simply didn't get why they mixed that in with the Bajoran visions unless they were trying to do something with it for later episodes but that was the last we've seen of it. Any way its just a small detail, it ain't really a big deal.

14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'll have to comment on this more when I get to that episode. At the moment I dont recall it clearly enough.

15. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Who Mourns for Morn and One Little Ship. Enjoyed the latter a lot, the former felt weird for a reason I cannot quite put my finger on. Both good episodes though.

One thing I find weird is One Little Ship sets up the idea of the Jem'Hadar bred in the Alpha Quadrant being different to the ones bred in the Gamma Quadrant, which is a pretty cool idea, but then they drop it after this episode. It's also weird that the Alphas are supposedly better at dealing with Alpha Quadrant races, yet every decision they make in the episode is the wrong one. Go figure.

Vanquisher12 likes this.
  16. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

17. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

AtomicTango likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Good stuff. Looking forward to seeing your posts on the thread.

19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Change of Heart and Wrongs Darker Than Death or Night. Two episodes I watched tonight and with two very different results.

I honestly found the first episode boring. I realise now that Worf and Dax don't seem to have very much chemistry, like their relationship is only happening to give the two characters an arc. As such I found it hard to care about the meat of the plot. The side plot stops midway through which was odd.

The second episode was much better. A very interesting delve into the morality of collaborating. Plus the idea of Dukat calling Kira just to say he slept with her mum is hilarious to me. Two things I noticed though. One, the timeline of the episode means the uniforms are wrong, as they are in all the flashback episodes. The uniforms should look like this,

[​IMG]

but I suppose the real-life logistics of this wasn't worth the effort. I can let it slide.

Secondly, why on earth does Dukat not remember being saved from an assassination attempt by a woman who looks exactly like Kira? I know it was a long time prior but surely he would remember something so important?

20. gsherman100

gsherman100 Fapstronaut

Well considering that I dislike pretty much all romance in Star Trek I couldn't agree more with the Worf and Dax

Loved that episode with Kira's mother. Absolutely loved it. I will be going through DS9 again here soon once I finish up Voyager.

As far as the Cardassians look, if I recall correctly, I believe that picture is in TNG. In TNG they were still figuring out a few things and how they wanted certain species to look. And to be honest that face helmet thing just looks ridiculous. What's it suppose to do, stop a giant beach ball? Cause that's about all itsgood for. If you recall in early episodes of TNG the Ferangi acted waaaaaay differently then they did in DS9. They went from being dumb annoying stupid goblin things in TNH to actual sentience in DS9. There is a few other examples but this is just what I think.