Starting an Accountability Group - me: grad student, 30, normal life outside of pmo

Discussion in 'Accountability Partners' started by hrmn51230, Apr 13, 2019.

1. hrmn51230

hrmn51230 Fapstronaut

1. Im 30 years old, in grad school, and have been struggling with pmo since early middle school. Since I discovered nofap I have had a handful of long streaks, none lasting more than 7 or 8 months. Most recently I made it to 6 months and then binged throughout November. I know, I know. Now on day 130 of no pmo, but only day 1 of no pm. I know some people have a healthy or stable relationship with pmo, but I definitely do not, and no one in my life knows about it. I workout a couple of times per week, I study a couple of days per week, I go to school full time, and I work full time. Within the next week I will be starting a few subtle changes into my life - - daily workouts or runs, spending more time studying or writing out of the house, not closing my bedroom door except to sleep, and most importantly, installing a program to notify an accountability partner if I visit restricted websites, including reddit and similar sites.
    2. I have some experience organizing groups, so thought I'd try to start one here. I tried a while ago, but only a few people ended up actively involved in the Kik group, and they didn't seem very interested. Only rules I can think of are regular check-ins, no judgment, and an earnest desire to be done with pmo forever and to supplant it with higher goals and pursuits.
    3. I'm intending on utilizing this group to help each other reach our nofap goals, but also other healthy habits such as developing a regular meditation practice, fitness routine, nutrition regime, healthy relationships, academic success, professional growth, financial independence, etc. I believe though that fundamentally we must do away with this one bad habit first. Help me do that and I'll respond the same. I've always been too lenient on myself and so has everyone else. My discipline level is at a 1 right now, and starting tomorrow, it will be at 100. I'll do that for all of you if all of you do that for me.
    4. I won't be in charge of anything after the initial bringing everyone together. I'm very serious about this and will be checking in every few days for the next week or so, but will be doing it from my phone. At the end of the week I'll shoot everyone a message on Kik about next steps. Send me a message on here or on Kik - - Herman 51230. The first time I tried doing this, people relapsed and lost interest. The last time I posted this, no one responded. Lets do this.

UnyieldingAntiHero likes this.
  2. rhombusgans4

rhombusgans4 Fapstronaut

Whats your time zone?

hrmn51230 likes this.
  3. Andrew Snow

Andrew Snow Fapstronaut

I’m a 21 year old undergrad heading to grad school next year but I’ve had major issues with PMO since middle school as well. I’m looking to change my habits more as a cure than just to treat the symptoms of the problem. You did not mention an age group but I’d like to join if I fit the criteria.

hrmn51230 likes this.
  4. hrmn51230

hrmn51230 Fapstronaut

I go back and forth between the east and west coast, so sometimes eastern, sometimes pacific. Yours?

5. hrmn51230

hrmn51230 Fapstronaut

Hey hey, theres no age restriction. Anyone can join. At this point we have three or four people interested, so we could definitely use another. Im very very impressed by the way, that youre headed to grad school at 21! Congrats! Im also on this trip for the cure, not as a temporary treatment. Do you have a kik account so we can communicate easier through text?

6. Andrew Snow

Andrew Snow Fapstronaut

Thank you! I’m very excited to build upon my undergraduate education and begin doing research.

hrmn51230 likes this.
  7. ghostrider_pm

ghostrider_pm Fapstronaut

8. ghostrider_pm

ghostrider_pm Fapstronaut

hey I am here you can text me

hrmn51230 likes this.
  9. hrmn51230

hrmn51230 Fapstronaut

Cool! Whats your kik username?

10. Ak468

Ak468 Fapstronaut

I'd like to join too, Just started a streak, aiming to go a 100 days without PMO