1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Stoic vs Fun

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Thechosenone, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

Hey peeps, I found that I'm becoming more and more stoic everyday as I try to master my daily routine, like trying to streamline it.

Sure its gonna help me later, but now I feel like I'm neglecting the fun part of me that needs to let loose. It's made my interactions very goal oriented and less small talky. Which I use to thrive with.

I'm reading all kinds of self help books that are serious.

How can I stay fun and enthusiastic?? :(

2. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

Hey man, you can still be fun and small talky, but you need to set your priorities straight. Recently I quit gaming all together and I have some gamer friends which were like "WTF why". I told em I can't waste my time with unfruitful activities that don't fulfill me anymore and that it's my personal decision not to play anymore. Now they didn't took it the best way but that's what I stand for now. I still communicate with them and small talk with them a bit about gaming but I don't make it part of my life. Now you are gonna do the same. Some people are gonna even try to guilt trip you "hey man I thought you were cool", but 1 of the best qualities you can learn is saying no to people and activities which don't develop you as a person and yes to ones that do and taking action on them. Don't let other people's mediocrity infect you. Now don't be also "hey you motherfuckers are weak" and cut all connections to those people, only if they are negative and bringing you down. If they being mediocre for themselves it's fine as long as it's not affecting you. Just say i'm doing my thing and do it. And you can have fun by the way , but only if you have kept the agreements of discipline you made to yourself. Little fun won't matter when it's 1:10 to the productivity you do.

3. Jodokus

Jodokus Fapstronaut

well I'm just on that way myself but I would say the stoic mindset, the abstinence, the determination and all the struggle have a fun part too. When you make your plan, when you stick to your rules, when you have struggled, endured, did it against all odds, when you accomplish something, when you get something in return... all occasion of good feelings. Isn't that fun?

But people have a certain image of you. When you change they will have a hard time readjust it. Maybe people don't want you to change or they just don't like the choices you made... whatever! I think fapequalsdeath is right. You can just go your way.

While I'm trying to quit some things entirely I try to be just more selective with others. And I think the quality of life is increasing when you don't take yourself whatever you can get but be selective. I mean when I don't eat sweets for a while for example and then I reward myself with a cake it's much more fun then eating cake all the time :D

JoePineapples and Thechosenone like this.
  4. Thechosenone

Thechosenone Fapstronaut

@fapequalsdeath @Jodokus

Thanks for the insightd guys, I agree completely. I feel I need to have a few things in order before I can let myself loose.

Self esteem, physical appearance and attitude day to day. I want to make these autonomous. I want to have a root a core of spirituality that is hardened with truth. Then I can see how my interactions fare day to day.

I feel quite vulnerable and exposed as I'm entering a phase of nofap that is testing me. I don't feel weak or hardened just yet, just vulnerable - its fine I'm hardening myself with books and knowledge.

First and foremost my self esteem needs working on and I'm proud (for one of the first times in my life) at reaching this point :)