1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping sleep masturbation?

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by unintentionalpilgrim, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Hello all,

I've been having trouble with my body M'ing, essentially by itself, while I'm sleeping. There'll be times where I just barely gain enough consciousness to realize that I'm literally M'ing in the middle of my sleep, with no prior awareness whatsoever; sometimes I'm able to stop it once I get that sliver of awareness, other times it seems to continue on an autopilot of sorts. This is bothersome enough as it is but, I especially need to fix it ASAP because I'm going to have roommates over the summer and would very much like to NOT have my body jo itself while I'm sleeping.

There doesn't seem to be a strong link between any particular behavior/lack of behavior and sleep M. I exercise 6 days a week, haven't watched P in years, eat mostly right, have a consistent sleep schedule, take cold showers, and don't have social media. Perhaps it's stress? I have been very stressed recently.

I need guidance and advice! Please help me solve this problem; I can't let it continue!

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    out and Accountability Partner like this.
  2. Relax and let it happen, it’s your body relieving itself, it’s not really you doing it.

3. I also M in sleep this days. It has happened to me 3 times as of today.
    I have noticed that it happens when I am anxious or stressed in the day before and also noticed that I M when I sleep for a little too late.
    It's really annoying.

out and Accountability Partner like this.
  4. I've noticed a correlation with stress as well. I made sure to unwind/turn off my brain for about an hour, take a hot shower, and take melatonin last night; my sleep was undisturbed! Stress management, esp relaxation leading up to bedtime, is going to my primary area of focus for the time being. Let me know what does/doesn't work for you so we can learn from each other!

Thank you.

5. The issue is, I have just enough agency over it when it's happening to reasonably put myself at fault. Not M'ing is a serious issue for me and I'm unwilling to "let it happen." Wet dreams are a different issue as there's no M involved and it takes place in deep sleep; the issue above is distinct.

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

6. HeartsOnFire11

HeartsOnFire11 Fapstronaut

I usually drink a cup of milk, before bed, this relaxes me and I sleep like a baby. I hope this helps

7. Regarding sleep quality: I have a fitness/activity tracker that supposedly calculates deep and REM sleep based on continuous heartrate measurement, I saw results the first time I did hot/cold contrast shower at night - though I don't remember if that was the overall sleep score or the REM time but the shower is a potential hack you can try, and I heard that benefit in a video with a naturopathic doctor talking about it in relation to hydrotherapy which is a traditional therapy in that discipline.

You might supplement melatonin for a while but remember that's naturally secreted gradually in your system, the level slowly builds. To me the question isn't just a matter of no M with roommates, though that's obviously a big concern, but how to MAINTAIN any schedule that works because of social jetlag. Maybe your schedule isn't as early morning as me but any schedule that works can be derailed by plenty of people who have no clue or appreciation of things such as sleep hygiene and circadian rhythm so that's something you'll have to consider. So not only is there a question of hanging out, if I was working on it I'd be looking at my environment as far as the light level or even the kind of light, I might want to install a circadian smart bulb... If you have a roommate in the same room a lot of that may be out, in which case you may just have to say hey I go to bed at a certain time, cover your eyes and only do audiobooks for the hour before bed/sleep time or something.