1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Straight Edge Discussion

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Keys2TheCastle, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Keys2TheCastle

Keys2TheCastle Fapstronaut

About a week or so ago, I responded to a question by Max Fisher on comparisons between NoFap and Straight Edge. For those that don't know, straight edge is essentially abstaining from drug and alcohol use for various reasons (some take it further and factor in diet, sexuality, etc.). I searched and I couldn't seem to find a cohesive thread for talking about the philosophy/lifestyle/music of that sect. Thus, I asked myself "Why the hell not?" and here we are.

So, I don't know if I should outright decide to "become" straight edge after multiple attempts to drink and smoke with friends. I have never gotten drunk, high or even the slightest bit tipsy, but the whole ordeal just doesn't click with me. Maybe I should consider it.

Yesterday, my friends and I got together to play Dungeons and Dragons like we usually do on Sundays. The special occasion was that one of my friends turned 21, so drinks are certainly in the equation. Another friend, who basically never drank seriously, got into it because he promised the birthday man(? person? boy?) that he would when the time came. All I could muster was a beer, but it just didn't feel good to me. I felt like I was drinking what would be found in a Metro station urinal. Mind you, I'm under 21 and have never gone to parties, so this kind of thing is still alien to me. Overall, I got a headache from the pressure (I didn't want to state that I hate alcohol on a good friend's celebration) and I felt like a loser who only had one beer.

In general, I don't get why certain people drink. I understand the social aspects of it like with weddings, ceremonies and concerts. It just doesn't add anything cool to an experience, though. I think about all the concerts I've gone to see and how the smell of Bud Light and Corona wafts through the air like a reeking "piss phantom" and wonder why the hell people bother spending money on it. What makes being tipsy or straight up wasted at a concert so appealing?

Same thing with marijuana and party drugs/heavy stuff. I used to play music with this guy about a block away (another guitar player) and the dealbreaker for me was that him (and any friend that joined) got stoned out of their gourds when we were playing. I felt like he didn't care about what we were doing. He did this at another house, where I thought we were going to really hit it off (haha) with this wicked drummer. After the "smoke break," which felt like hours, that powerhouse drummer just flopped on the couch and played phone games. The guitarist and the bassist played a faux-Grateful Dead jam. Smoking pot/marijuana ruined all the energy and productivity we had. Later, I found out the guitarist was doing acid and (allegedly) cocaine. I haven't spoken to him for a while.

Jesus, this turned into a rant. I apologize. If anybody has their own "drug/alcohol alienation" stories, here's a thread.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. I totally get you. People in this day use drugs/alcohol and masturbation for the same reasons, to escape the problems in their life. Even the most carefree stoner has some shit going on inside them, and that’s why people can justify doing this to themselves. It’s the same as pmo addiction. We’re all dopamine addicts, and that’s how we can justify our rather questionable decisions.

As far as whether you should “declare yourself” straight edge, I think if it will bring you peace of mind, then go for it. I believe in all of the things that straight edge encourages, but I don’t declare my self edge because I’m not into the whole punk scene and I think putting the label on it takes away some of my free will to chose what I want and instead makes it seem like I’m fitting into another groups ideals.

In your situation tho, again, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you realize how corrupt and messed up the whole social normalness of drugs and alcohol has become. That shit will mess you up big time, and you’re right for staying away from it. If you think declaring yourself straight edge will help you explain to your friends why you don’t wanna smoke or drink, the do it. And it sounds messed up but those “friends” are gonna be the ones struggling in a few years while you’re going to be thriving, so it might be better to cut them off all together. That’s what I had to do and life has never been better.

Again, the beauty of the world we live in is that you can become whoever and whatever you want, as long as you work for it. Straight edge embraces this and encourages those who follow to break out of their social norms and seek their own fulfillment. Do what’s right for you, and don’t let anyone else push you around for it.

3. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I second what @prsguitars2 mentioned, only adding that it‘s about the lifestyle you intend to live and how many emotional issues you didn’t deal with yet from your childhood days. All addictions are coping mechanisms to your emotional pain / childhood trauma / emotional neglect.

But if it helps to put yet another name to seeking to live a good life, a name such as straight edge, no problem as long as we don’t transform it into a dogma.

Deleted Account likes this.