1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Strategies for dealing with urges...

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. dariofo_ever

dariofo_ever Fapstronaut

What are your strategies are for dealing with urges?

2. XandeXIV

XandeXIV Fapstronaut

Habit replacement is a key one for me. It's hard to break a habit (including PMO), but it's easy to form a new one. Habits form because if we do an activity enough, the brain seeks to improve efficiency by automating the process as much as possible (i.e. by making it a subconscious behaviour).

So, the idea is to train yourself to behave in certain ways when you receive urges at certain times. Some of mine include
    • Rubbing my arm (and therefore not my penis) in bed when I feel a surge - this is pretty automatic for me but not perfect.
    • Drying off and getting dressed immediately after getting out of the shower - before I used to dry off naturally while doing something else, but being naked was a serious trigger.
    • Wearing gloves while working from home - when I get stressed with something I'm working on and I subconsciously start to fidget with things... including 'down there'. Actually I stopped this glove thing for a while but have been thinking to get back into it.

Gina3111, dariofo_ever and ferret XD like this.
  3. Gina3111, dariofo_ever and ferret XD like this.
  4. dariofo_ever

dariofo_ever Fapstronaut

ferret XD and Tao Jones like this.
  5. dariofo_ever

dariofo_ever Fapstronaut

Thanks, bro! Good thoughts. Fidgeting in different ways... :)

ferret XD likes this.
  6. Christian Warrior

Christian Warrior Fapstronaut

• I remind myself that the urge will pass...
    • I remind myself that giving in to my urges, will only leave me feeling worse.
    • I remind myself that Jesus said, "FOLLOW ME." And not, "I'll follow you."
    • I remind myself that The Holy Spirit, who indwells all believers, is the One doing the work. My job is to just yield to Him, and rest in Him.
    • I remind myself that a lifestyle of PMO is like a 2nd job. It takes work, energy, & time. I'd rather just retire and live the easier life (For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.)
    • I get on my knees and talk with God.
    • I quickly shut down any thoughts of PMO. The enemy is much easier to resist at a distance, rather than leaving the door half open.

7. Bernard O.

Bernard O. Fapstronaut

Great advice. I will try these suggestions

Christian Warrior likes this.
  8. My primary strategies so far have been:

- Coming to NoFap.com forum to be around other's struggling with the same issues and addictions
    - Praying
    - Refocusing on non-sexual things like tasks I need to do for the day

9. dariofo_ever

dariofo_ever Fapstronaut

LOVE that, dude! Thank you!