Texas school shooting

For discussion about modern politics, politicians, and political and social trends and policies

1. Raven King

Raven King Fapstronaut

Has anyone mentioned mental health yet? Whoever commits a crime like this has done serious mental problems, that could have been prevented or treated. I'm thinking if guns were banned, maybe he would just find other ways to kill.
    London, for example, have strict gun laws, so criminals there use knives or acid when they want to kill someone. Not as effective, of course, but it still works.

TakingTheSteps likes this.
  2. smh_fam

smh_fam Fapstronaut

Not necessarily, the recent buffalo shooter for example seemed to be fully aware of what he was doing and wrote a fairly coherent manifesto justifying it (coherent within the limited confines of his ideology).

Some of them are mentally ill, some of them think it through and fully understand the consequences. So far there's not enough info about the texas shooter to make a determination.

Someone with a why can overcome any how. That's very true.

3. Taylor25

Taylor25 Fapstronaut

4. Taylor25

Taylor25 Fapstronaut

That's America for ya.

Morior Invictus likes this.
  5. Taylor25

Taylor25 Fapstronaut

Australia had a mass shooting that killed 30+ people in 1996 and the gun law went into effect. No mass shooting since.

Scotland, UK had the Dunblane massacre in 1996 and the gun law went into effect. No mass shooting since.

The USA, however........holy motherfucking fuck. What the fucking fuck is wrong with this country?:(

Dignan likes this.
  6. Dignan

Dignan Fapstronaut

It’s all in the metrics you care about. “No mass shootings since” is one metric but what is the revenue of the gun industry in those places? Yearly gun sales revenue is a metric that causes different behavior.
    I was also thinking about how the US market is the biggest market for guns. For all the worlds manufacturers as well. Companies like Glock, H&K, Beretta, Sig, IWI. Maybe if the world takes pity on us one place to start would be all these foreign manufacturers could decide not to sell to the US. :)

7. Hey folks my it seems that all empires are strong but often cruel. The Brits were the last one before America, and we dont really think (in the West) about the thousands of years of Chinese and Indian history. Nice to be on top, but it can't and won't last. And neither will the next one.

8. TakingTheSteps

TakingTheSteps Fapstronaut

That might be true, but look where that has led... the things I keep hearing about Australia's insane over-stepping government are extremely worrisome. I'm not sure trading occasional shootings for the type of situation they have now can really be called a win. Not everything in life is about guns and shootings. Sure, taking away everyone's guns will definitely make fewer shootings happen. But it's also quite a precedent to set, and if Australia is our great example of how that worked out, I'm very glad the US hasn't followed suit. I have absolutely no interest in living in a place like Australia. Where law enforcement can come in and remove you from your home because you've been suspected of having covid, you can pass a covid test as negative, and they still force you to quarantine in a safe house for two weeks. If other people disagree, they are more than welcome to move there.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    vxlccm likes this.
  9. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Fapstronaut

This is a tough subject because a lot of the countries people like to give as examples of successful gun laws are countries that also didn't have the 2nd Amendment built into their constitution. A ban on guns will not work or have the same effectiveness as other countries and that is mostly because other countries do not have millions of unregistered firearms floating around their country. The sheer amount of guns also makes a buy-back program pretty unrealistic. If the 2nd Amendment were the problem, then why has school shootings only been a major epidemic in the U.S. since the late 90s?

Something is definitely wrong in the U.S. and I think that has a lot to do with our culture, mental health, and rampant fatherlessness, to name a few.

10. Dignan

Dignan Fapstronaut

Cultures can change. Smoking as a cultura norm changed and now it’s at an all time low. We also successfully demonized drunk driving, which was not seen as a huge deal culturally in the past. If I were to guess the path of change will likely be a slow demonization of guns and people who own them. I don’t personally look forward to that but considering that is how society has been headed, I predict that there will be a sort of massive social shaming in an attempt to push people towards voluntary not buying guns.

vxlccm, Taylor25 and Giuseppe like this.
  11. TakingTheSteps

I don't think that's going to fly. Drunk driving should be demonized. Guns and people who own them should not. There is nothing evil about owning a gun, either for protection of your family, for hunting, or even just for fun to shoot targets or something.

I certainly agree that what you said is what some people are TRYING to make happen, but I don't think it's ever going to catch on in the way demonizing drunk driving has. Because drunk driving is worthy of being demonized. And it's illegal.

Taylor25, Dignan and Giuseppe like this.
  12. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Fapstronaut

There is no guessing in regards to that path, they're doing it as we speak! I do find it extremely ironic though that most of the people doing this also belong to the ideological aisle of defunding the police, light to no prosecution for dangerous felons, who supported forced experimental vaccinations, and who rant and scream about a government that is systemically racist. Then, as if to forget all of that, they with the same breath try to shame law abiding gun owners for wanting to keep the right to protect themselves as if that is the source of craziness in our country.

Sadly, with the way the U.S. is going, I don't share your optimism. There is a lot of crazy stuff that has caught on in the U.S. which I never thought would be possible, lol.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Taylor25, TakingTheSteps and Dignan like this.
  13. Dignan

Dignan Fapstronaut

For sure, but if someone’s position is that guns are the problem then owning them, buying them and driving up demand for them is bad by proxy. Regardless of what you use them for. Guns = bad, so people with guns = bad people. This is what will happen.

13. “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people (gun owners) and not institutions (NRA); people hurt faster than institutions.

If you can make gun owners feel public shame for owning guns, people won’t buy them.

14. Morior Invictus

Morior Invictus Fapstronaut

Purchase of a firearm from any store that sells them requires a federal background check into a nationwide registry. If it's illegal, the law will say boo about it. You will get in trouble if you conceal carry in some states like Arizona I believe.

The Firearms Owner’s Protection Act (“FOPA”) allows an interstate traveler to cross state lines with a gun. But, in order for FOPA to apply, the traveler must legally be allowed to possess the weapon in the state he or she is traveling from. The same is true for the state of destination: the traveler must legally be allowed to possess the weapon where he or she is traveling to as well. As long as those two requirements are met, a traveler should be allowed to cross state lines.

Cheers to all!

15. Morior Invictus

I doubt that will ever happen. I know many who buy more because of public backlash to prove a point. Law abiding citizens can own as many guns as they want via the 2nd amendment and there will always be people in support of that. No political shaming would work imo.

This sums up everything else I think sparing a few like mentioned. These are the root drivers of crime, guns just make those potential crimes more deadly. But would you like more deadly crimes (which can also be prevented by guns and many have been or a disintegration of the wall making leaders not to trample our rights? Aka like mentioned Australia.

16. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Fapstronaut

If I'm not mistaken, the NRA recently tried to file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which doesn't really sound like the dealings of a monetarily successful gun lobby. I think the demonization of the organisation and its members brought about the current state of the NRA. That they called it a "terrorist organization" when not one member has ever been involved in a mass shooting.

After this Texas shooting and Biden yakking about the "gun lobby" I had to laugh, because he' pushing the same old stuff which just shows he doesn't care, he's just playing the crowd. What was hilarious is in his own press address he makes a remark to the effect of first saying we need to ban guns and then right after he says "listen, I'm not going to tell you this (bans) will solve the problem". The man is a genius at achieving nothing, lol.

I still don't understand why they don't issue armed security for schools? We apparently believe money and politicians are worthy of armed protection, but not children? Though when you suggest schools have armed security, people act as if it's a radical suggestion, as if armed security at schools means we've lost the battle against safety in our society. Sure, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need armed security to protect kids. Heck, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need it to protect our banks. We definitely wouldn't need it to protect politicians, since in a perfect world they wouldn't exist.

Morior Invictus likes this.
  17. Morior Invictus

This made me laugh . If I reckon properly there was an armed guard assigned at the school in Texas, but he wasn't there that one day. They also propped open a door that should of been always closed and locked that the shooter then entered and caused chaos. That's lady luck for yah

18. TakingTheSteps

Eh, idk. Maybe. I just really don't see Republicans ever giving in on this issue to that degree. I'm sure a lot of people will, and they clearly already have been demonizing gun owners. But a large population of the country is still very much in support of the 2nd amendment.

19. TakingTheSteps

I agree. It's like people trying to shame me into supporting abortion. That kind of tactic only makes me want to post even more of my "pro-life propaganda" they hate so much.

Taylor25 and Morior Invictus like this.
  20. TakingTheSteps

Right... I understand. that's already happening. I just disagree that it will catch on to the degree of demonizing drunk driving. Because the "right to drive drunk" isn't in the constitution of our country.

I don't really agree that that will work, for the same reason Morior said.

Dignan and Morior Invictus like this.