1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thank you, Mary, thank you!

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. chastedude

chastedude Fapstronaut

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with the temptation to masturbate. While my counter says 165 as I write this, it's only 165 days since O/ejaculation. I still have a hard time overcoming temptation with masturbating in bed at night. So my fight isn't over!

But thanks to Mary, I had the brain power to think of praying the Rosary during the temptation. There I was, in the middle of the night, half awake, fighting temptation, and praying the Rosary. After maybe two decades, I realized I had totally forgot about the temptation to masturbate. My erections have been really intense these past 165 days and that intense feeling had gone down. I continued praying and managed to brush off the temptation.

And because of that, I'm feeling great today. Thank you to Mary for giving us the Rosary in the first place. Definitely give this a try as part of your arsenal in not only thinking about something else, but the Rosary is a great spiritual weapon!

On another note, I discovered The Exodus Ninety Show podcast last week and checked out a few episodes. I can highly recommend this as it's really motivating in getting you to being accountable in your journey.

Augie, Swazzy 1 and Cathcart22 like this.
  2. Totally agree with u.
    & Congrats for that awesome streak.Keep winning!;)

3. !mkj!

!mkj! Fapstronaut

If you're only going to thank one person do you think Mary wants you to thank her, or thank Jesus.

I've made a total consecration to Mary, both the St. Louis de Montfort way and the St. Maximilian Kolbe way. I pray the rosary and I know the explanation most often given to Christians of other denominations when they ask, "why do you go to Mary instead of Jesus." The standard reply (or at least a very frequent reply) is "I do go to Jesus through Mary."

I used to use that explanation, but it seems in my personal experience and observation of others comments when talking about Mary, or asking for her help, or thanking her for some answered prayer, etc. that Jesus is rarely mentioned. It seems that the phrase "to Jesus through Mary", once it has satisfied the technical explanation and defense of Marian devotion in a person's mind, has little practical effect in terms of bringing a person closer to Jesus. I say this because it is Mary who is spoken about, praised and thanked in conversation and in prayer and Jesus is kind of along for the ride, but left in the background, rarely mentioned.

If you happen to have a devotion to the Sacred Heart, then the name of Jesus is spoken about frequently, but in my experience mostly in reference to that particular devotion and rarely in comments and practices of Marian devotion.

What do you think Mary's opinion on the matter is? Do you think she wants you to always remember to include the name of her Son, her Lord and Savior, her King and Master when speaking about her or dialoguing with her. I do. I always include "in the name of Jesus" when speaking about Mary or to her. ie., "Mary please (fill in the blank) in the name of Jesus. Mary thank you for answering my prayer in the name of Jesus", etc.

Is it necessary to use the phrase, "in the name of Jesus" in order to actually be praying in the name of Jesus? In my opinion, no, but does it help me to lift my mind and heart to the One who died on the cross for my salvation? Does it help me to consciously include him in everything I say and do? Do I more frequently praise His holy name? Yes!

Ask Mary about it. See what she says.

4. @!mkj! No need,i think.If i want something, i ask my mother ,rather than going to my dad as she is kind.But he gives the money and all.I don't ask her ,tell dad to buy this for me,i just ask her i want this thats all.But she knows wat i mean.Likewise God sees ur heart more than anyone.He knows u.And if it helps u including "in the name of jesus" continue it.I pray separately to Mary and Jesus.

5. !mkj!

!mkj! Fapstronaut

My point wasn't to convince anyone to pray exactly the same as I do. It's to say if we focus more on Mary than we do on the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit something is out of whack.

We often try to make analogies of our relationship with humans (father, mother, etc.) to our relationship with God and the saints (with Mary being the most frequent), but there is no comparison. Our earthly Father is no more important than our Mother and to simply ask her rather than including a mention of our father is perfectly fine. If you think there is no difference between the attention you give to Mary and the attention you give to God I think you should ask Mary about that rather than use inaccurate analogies. And that is another thing I'm trying to accomplish - convincing people to try to get Mary's perspective rather than defend the common practice. Just ask her, "Mary would you like for me to mention Jesus and talk to Him as much as I mention and talk with you? Would you like for me to mention and talk to Jesus more than I mention and talk to you? I think you know what her answer will be even before you ask.

In addition, do you realize you said your reason you simply to to your mother to ask for things is because "she is kind." Stop and think what you are implying. Do you think Mary is kinder than Jesus?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
  6. Bro,I haven't even compared them even once.It was an example to show that my mother knows wat i mean.I didn't say Mary was kinder than Jesus.We can't compare God with human.In the kingdom of God as per my knowledge the most holiest person is Mother mary,greater than all angels and saints.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2020
  7. !mkj!

!mkj! Fapstronaut

I'm not sure our communication is going to bear any good fruit. Each time I offer you something to consider that's different than what you believe you become defensive. In the example you gave about your mother you meant to shed light on your communication with Mary. When you say you ask your mother because "she is kind" you are automatically implying that's the reason you ask Mary, and don't bother to say anything to, or about Jesus, or the Father, or the Holy Spirit. If you're simply going to defend your position without considering the possibility you might need to change something then we're wasting our time chatting.

God bless you. You are in my prayers.

Swazzy 1 likes this.
  8. Ultimately this "who's name is used more" is kind of making mountains out of molehills. You really think the same Jesus who willed for us to have a devotion to Mary is going to be upset that we constantly reference her or speak about her? Wasn't it the Father's will that His Son be born of her thus making her our Mother? And when it comes to what Jesus cares about more do you think it's how many times people say Lord, Lord, or do you think it's how many do the will of His Father? Also didn't the Holy Spirit inspire the writers to put down Mary's response the her soul magnify the Lord? You think glory will be stolen from God by using the name of her who magnifies Him?

9. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I will ignore the theological arguments for a second and only offer you some personal evidence of the power of Mary.
    Mary has been such a fantastic help in my life. Over 40 years ago, I fervently prayed for her help in finding my soul mate and I have now been married to my wonderful wife since that time. A few years later, I fervently prayed for her help in finding a good job leading to a successful career. I recently retired from a post at the top of my industry. My father promised (and kept his promise for 58 years) to pray the rosary daily for Mary's intercession in healing my brother from a serious car accident. My brother was healed and his doctor was so throughly impressed he converted to Catholicism.
    Christ is not offended by prayers to His earthly mother. He knows she perfects these requests and turns them all over to Him. It was at Mary's request that Our Precious Lord changed the water into wine at Cana. Christ clearly listens to Mary's requests.