1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The 30 Day Self Improvement Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by NewLifeForGood86, Mar 9, 2019.

1. NewLifeForGood86

NewLifeForGood86 Fapstronaut

Hi everyone.
    I’m starting a 30 day self improvement challenge. But before I mention what this challenge is about I want to mention a few lines about myself. I’m a 32 year old man, and I’ve been a member of nofap since the summer of 2017. I started nofap because I was addicted to PMO, and my other areas in life where also not doing so well. I’ve written a few threads earlier of my progress, and I’ve done reboots of above 30 and 50 days, but I’ve had a long pause from this forum.

Right now I’m definitely much better than when I started nofap. My life is much better, but I still have goals to achieve. I don’t watch P anymore, but occasionally I do fall into the trap of M, which is annoying, and I want to get totally rid of this. Secondly I’m in very bad physical shape at the moment, and spiritually I’m also not where I want to be. I also study at university, and although I’m passing my exams I want to improve to the degree that I don’t just pass with average marks but great marks. All in all I want to improve in these areas, other than having a clean hard mode streak. In other words I want to improve physically, mentally and spiritually. For this I made this challenge of self improvement. The idea is to improve in the above mentioned areas for at least the next 30 days.

Anyone is wellcome to join this challenge. It doesn’t have to be the same goals as mine of course, but the challenge must last at least 30 days, and it must relate to self improvement.

Below are my goals:

- Fitness and Health: I need to work out (biking and gym in my case) at least 5 times a week. Preferably 6 times. And I need to eat healthy (I’m following a strict diet plan). I will also be doing intermittent fasting (13-14 hour fast) daily for 30 days (I’m aiming at loosing around 5 kilos and clearly improving my physique in the next 30 days. Right now I’m a little overweight, but not obese).

- Academically: I’m a student at the university, and my goal is to use at least 7-8 hours daily on my studies for these 30 days. This way I can improve my grades. Plan is to study daily from 7am to 3 pm.

- Spiritually: I need to use 2 hours daily on prayer and meditation, spread over the whole day. Through this I hope to improve my mental and spiritual state.

- Other than this I need to do a hard mode no PMO clean streak of at least 30 days.

I’ll update on my progress on this thread at least once a week. And if I manage to successfully complete the 30 days I’ll also write about it in the success stories forum.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  2. wulfgar677

wulfgar677 Fapstronaut

Nice! keep updating

Criss27 and NewLifeForGood86 like this.
  3. Ag0208

Ag0208 Fapstronaut

Hey man,

That sounds great and i am in here.
    My goals would be a bit different, but not that much:

Fitness:
    - gym 4 days a week and 1 day cardio
    - eat more, im currently trying to gain muscles

Academically:
    - im also in University, so same goal as you. Study every day at least 5 hours

Spiritually:
    - i could really need more mental health, so same goal. 2 hours a day

-NoPMO, no fantasizing, less time on screens

These are my goals.
    Do you want me to share my progress here?
    Just asking because i dont want to take over your thread haha

Criss27 and NewLifeForGood86 like this.
  4. NewLifeForGood86

Hey.
    Sounds great :) We can become APs. Then we can keep each other updated through private messages. I’m happy that you’re setting your bar high like me. But just remember that considtency is the most important thing, even if it’s only a little every day. I also recommend reading my previous success story if you have time (there’s a link to it on my counter). In it I have suggested ways to abstain from PMO and improve in other areas of life. This way you will know a little more about me too. I will update you on my progress every week, at least. Good luck my friend.

PS. If you complete your 30 day challenge I want you to write your success story here on my thread if you wish.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Criss27 likes this.
  5. NewLifeForGood86

Day 4
    I’ve been regular in my gym workouts so far, but yesterday and today I had a headache, so I left my fasting these two days. Because of this I didn’t manage to do any studies yesterday either. I haven’t started my diet plan yet, as I first want to get my body used to the fasting this first week. I don’t want to push my body too hard first week by both fasting and eating low calorie diet foods. But slowly I’ve started to switch to the diet plan as my body is getting used to the fasting.

Other than yesterday, which I rested because of headache, I’ve been using 7 hours on studies and projects so far.

I’ve also done roughly 2 hours of prayer and meditation daily except yesterday, again because of the headache. But even on the day where I didn’t do 2 hours I did around an hour.

Today the headache was very light and has already left me. Therefore I’m getting all the things right today. Going to the gym to work out in a moment.

I’ve had no urges to PMO so far.

Criss27 likes this.
  6. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Don't expect much just keep changing little by little each day u cant change yourself in one day so spread the changes over your 30 day challenge. Small changes so you can adapt your brain can adapt. That's all I want to add been doing self improvement a lot lately and doing everything at once I fail and most others too so careful there.

NewLifeForGood86 likes this.
  7. NewLifeForGood86

Day 5 (this is my answer to your question as well as my update for day 5):
    Yes you’re right. I’ve been doing a lot of self improvement too for the past years. And I set my bar high this time since I have already gained a certain level in these things through years of striving hard. So I just wanted to give it a push to go to the next level. For instance I already used around 1 1/2 hours on prayer and meditation daily, I already had begun to bike and work out in the gym more or less regularly (3-4 time a week), but light work out, and I had already gotten used to getting up early and going to uni early and at least spending some hours there. Now I just want to push it to the next level.

I already knew that it wasn’t going to be perfect to begin with. My brain was going to resist it, as it is already doing. In fact my body is resisting too. I want to fast, but I’m getting headaches, so I’ve had to leave a few fasts (after a few days of regular fasting this vanishes, and you feel very good mentally and physically). I’ve been biking an hour daily + I’ve been going hard with weights in the gym after a period of very little exercise. This resulted in the fact that this morning, when I woke up at around 4:30 after having slept 6 1/2 hours my body was craving more sleep because of being exhausted by extensive exercise in the past days. I was so tired that even after getting up I went back and slept again at 6am and got up again at 9am. If everything goes more or less according to plan, my body will have adjusted to the hard exercise and fasting by next week, and then this should be more smooth.

The good thing is that I’ve had no urges to PMO so far. Once I relapse through even only M it has such a negative impact on my mind that it affects the whole discipline. So that’s the main thing I consider a relapse. If the other things are more or less regular to start with then it’s fine. There’s no need to overload ourselves with the pressure of too difficult requirements, because that can also affect our minds negatively and make us loose hope, which can hinder us from our goals. So although I’ve set the bar high I’m also taking it one step at a time and building everything up gradually, because I know how important that is. But thanks for the advice.

HegHeu likes this.
  8. NewLifeForGood86

Day 7:
    Here’s my update on my first week:

Health and fitness:
    I’ve been to the gym 5 times this week doing weights as planned. I’ve only biked 3-4 times, which is fine for the first week, but I’ll try to get this to 5 times this coming week.
    I haven’t been following my diet plan, but mainly because I focussed on getting my body used to fasting. I’ve fasted 3 days (12-13 hours fasts), and it seems my body has gotten more used to the fasting. The plan is to fast daily in the coming week while also staying away from unhealthy foods which are not in my diet.
    My weight hasn’t really moved yet, but I probably have got more muscle as a result of the regular hard work outs with weights.

Productivity/academically:
    Been to the university or library daily, but I have failed to reach the 7 hours study/productivity mark on 2-3 days. This must be up to the mark in the coming week, especially since I have an exam to prepare for.

Mentally/spiritually:
    I’ve been mostly using 1 1/2 hour on prayer and meditation daily. I’ve only reached the 2 hour mark on a couple of days. I will try to hit the 2 hour mark from now.
    Mentally I feel good. Although I haven’t hit the mark in all my areas, I still have some contentment, since I’ve kept a certain level of time on prayer and meditation and since I’ve been regular in my work outs.

PMO:
    One other thing which is very significant to the fact that I’ve been in a good state mentally is that I’ve kept away from PMO. In fact I’ve protected my self from even sexual thoughts, since I know too well how they make the trigger, and suddenly you end up in a PMO situation which you tried so much to avoid. That hasn’t happened this week, and that has given me a boost in confidence and contentment.

Good luck to all of you in overcoming your challenges and reaching your goals.

9. NewLifeForGood86

Day 12:
    Health and fitness:
    The headaches have persisted but declined a bit. I have forced myself to keep most fasts anyway despite the headaches and I feel that the fasts are removing the headaches with time. This is because intermittent fasting is proved to make the body go into a self-regenerating and healing state. But yesterday and today I didn’t fast as the headaches were bothering me, so I broke my fasts. (I used to have headaches before fasting too, but with time intermittent fasting usually removes them).

I’ve stayed healthy other than yesterday and today where I needed a quick fix for the headache in the shape of eating from restaurants. But otherwise I’ve been clean and lost around 1 1/2 kilos in half or one week.

I’ve stayed regular in my gym workouts, but this week I haven’t biked. Need to get back on that. One of the best things is that the more regularly I exercise I am developing a passion for working out hard and achieving goals.

Productivity:
    Done something productive every day, but this one definitely needs some improvement.

Spiritually:
    Been using approximately 2 hours daily on meditation, and I’m feeling a greater spirituality, confidence and mental well-being.

PMO:
    Been clean so far. This has also added greatly to my mental and spiritual contentment. When I don’t do PMO I don’t feel like a worthless creep. I feel like being a real man.

10. im taking this challenge for my personal challenge . challenge name: from today onward i will stop asking answers for questions to others that i already know. it seems to you that my challenge is very different but this habbit of asking doubts and talking to others is effecting me. my rule is: if i ask a question to others 1 time i consider it a relapse. and i will start again from day 1. i will post every day upto 30 days today is 0/30

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2019
  11. NewLifeForGood86

Good luck.

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. NewLifeForGood86

Sorry for not updating for a while. The fact is that I relapsed a week ago, and from that point I just couldn’t get myself back on track. It is my rule to restart my 30 day challenge if I relapse PMO wise (I relapsed through M), and therefore I’m hereby restarting my counter. I’m therefore at day 1 of 30 again. But even though my counter has reset, I’m already at a better stage. For instance I’ve lost a few kilos and I’m in a bit better shape. I’ll tell more about that in future updates.
    In the two weeks of my streak I felt great, and I want more of that, but I won’t write a success story until and unless I do the full 30 day streak.

13. NewLifeForGood86

How is your challenge going ag0208?

14. I relapsed iam starting again 0/30