1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The body keeps the score

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by IbrahimViking, Mar 30, 2020.

1. IbrahimViking

IbrahimViking Fapstronaut

Read this book (The body keeps the score by Bessel van der Kolk). If you are feeling disconnected from life, if you are depressed or stressed, see if this book (its title and cover) appeals to you. Intuitively you'll be drawn to it if you're going to benefit from it. This isn't an advertisement - I didn't even buy it, I borrowed it in a library for people with text disabilities (I don't read very well). I just feel strongly compelled to recommend it specifically in this forum. I cannot predict what you will take out of it, but it may help you reconnect with yourself. As someone who was severely abused as a child, and who is a happy adult now, in my thirties, I found that there is a ton of stuff that we shut down in a "basement", because the trauma is too extreme to deal with it. This book can help you understand that you are not alone, and that what you consider your "flaw of character" or "weakness" is absolutely normal, and look on your trauma as if it's something in the past, and let go of it.
    If you spend days trying to "avoid the horribe", you might be living the past trauma in the present, non-stop, and not know it; and just looking at it with acceptance my help you put it behind you.

If you don't consider yourself traumatized, I can recommend another book, by Michael A Singer, it's called "Untethered Soul". See if it appeals to you, just based on the cover, or see his video, something like "what do you really want" in YouTube. I might be wrong about the title though, but check this dude out. The first dude is on YouTube too, but in the video I tried to watch, he was awful at engaging public :D I couldn't bear listening to him reading from paper. But it's just my personal preference and a bit of ADD.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  2. Donijuan

Donijuan Fapstronaut

Seems like by the description its a book about living in the moment and forgive the past,i'll check it out dude.

Ὀρφεύς and IbrahimViking like this.
  3. IbrahimViking

IbrahimViking Fapstronaut

I wouldn't say that they are exactly about that, but I love your idea of living in the moment. Most pain I feel comes when I try to plan something I'm not capable of predicting in advance, and then feeling like something went wrong when my predictions didn't come true. That's ridiculous :) , if I really think about it.

Ὀρφεύς and One Eyed Owl like this.