1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Compliment "Challenge"

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by ManHvnBnd, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Hi all,

I had an idea for a "challenge" (for lack of a better word) last winter when I noticed a fairly attractive Asian girl on campus, and the thought came into my mind again yesterday. I wanna run it by others in this forum to see if this is something I should actually try to pursue.

For context, I'm a 20 y.o. heterosexual male halfway through college who suffers from social anxiety, esp. when I have to talk/introduce myself to new people or I'm around a lot of people. I'm an introvert, so I'm shy and reserved at first, but funny and witty enough if you'd get to know me. Right now, I'm as single-since-birth as they come: never had a girlfriend, never have been intimate, never have been on a date nor asked out on a date. Also, I've never (to almost never) been complimented ("cute," "handsome") by females who aren't already platonic friends or family members (i.e. people I have no shot of dating). All the while, I've had plenty of crushes and confessed to a few of them since high school, but all to no avail. My self-perceived lack of dateability has sadly taken a huge toll on my confidence and self-esteem. I don't want anyone to go through this feeling, which is where my challenge comes in.

So here's my "challenge":
    • Once I'm back on my college campus when classes start, I wanna try complementing women in my age group whom I don't know personally
    • It would help if I myself and the specific woman are alone and not in a rush to get somewhere on time
    • I would gauge how appropriate complementing is in each specific case
    • I would probably say something along the lines of "Hey, I just wanna say that ______, and I hope you have a nice day." inserting a comment about her looks in general or a specific article of clothing she's wearing (being appropriate of course)
    • If they don't wanna converse, which is fine by me, then I could exit and go about my business
    • If they do happen to wanna converse, then I'll converse
    My campus is small compared to other college campuses, but there are so many people that the chance of running into a random person twice in quick succession is fairly low. In theory, this seems like a good idea to me, but I'm not quite certain if it would turn out to be one. My intent is to get myself out of my comfort zone. Also, if I ever approach anyone to ask them out, or if I'm ever asked out, I can be more comfortable in the process. Let me know your thoughts and if this is something I should try. Thanks!

tet2vd, warriorvow and Eleanor like this.
  2. Just Rose

Just Rose Distinguished Fapstronaut

As a female I think it's a nice idea. Just keep it proper. Also, if they work with you in some homework or so, try complimenting their job, their mental aboliabil, not just how they look. I think that might attract them more, because appreciating image is ok but a little shallow and ephemeral, and many guys just want a pretty doll with no brain, so if you value theirs, well, that's something I would really like. Anyway I'm a too cerebral girl so maybe just complimenting their outfit might be ok lol.

tet2vd, lolman123, Casey54 and 2 others like this.
  3. That's a great suggestion, thanks! Like I said before, this "challenge" is targeted at strangers, so complimenting on anything intangible can be difficult.

Eleanor likes this.
  4. Clarke

Clarke Fapstronaut

Go for it, bucko. You'll never have an opportunity to interact with as many young, single females again as you do in college.

tet2vd, CosmoRedshift and ManHvnBnd like this.
  5. phwrancesco

phwrancesco Fapstronaut

if you don't say nothing inappropriate and do it with touch i think is a great idea!

ManHvnBnd likes this.
  6. Thank you @Clarke and @phwrancesco for your feedback!