1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Do It Anyway Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by WalkingForward, May 7, 2017.

Are you willing to try this?

1. Yes!

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

This challenge is inspired by a technique from Acceptance and commitment therapy that I'm finding very helpful.

This technique works whether you're struggling with anxiety, fear, worrying, obsessing, urges, depression, lethargy or any other difficult feeling.

Step 1.
    Imagine you had a magic wand that could make you completely free from the difficult emotion. What would you be doing if you became completely free from the difficult feeling?

Step 2.
    There is no such magic wand. But, whatever you would do if the feeling went away, is something you can also do with the feeling being present.

The challenge
    Write about something you would do, describe why it’s a challenge for you. And then do it! And report back here afterwards.

If you get an idea for something out irl, you can also do it and report about it here afterwards.

You can start “small” and work yourself up to more challenging things. You’re very welcome to take on big challenges as well.

2. WalkingForward

WalkingForward Fapstronaut

I'm skinny and I'm self-conscious about my thin arms. I always wear long-sleeved shirts. I haven't worn a t-shirt out in public for almost two years, until today.

I decided to wear a t-shirt at the gym today. I have been thinking about doing that for months, but my mind has always come up with rationalizations that I've bought into and I've postponed doing it.

I had rationalizations for wearing a long-sleeved shirt at the gym today as well. But today I decided not to take orders from them. Although I hesitated and postponed leaving my apartment for a while.

It felt liberating at first. I warmed up with rowing. I had thoughts about people staring at me and judging me. Mindfully, I let those thoughts be there like clouds in the sky while I returned my focus to working out.

My workout went well at first, I went from rowing to dumbbell bench press. And the first set went surprisingly well. Then I thought that at least I was lifting relatively heavy (for my body weight at least) and doing many reps, so I had thoughts about trying to impress the people around me. Then I struggled for the next two sets.

Then I went on to chin ups. Mindfully I let go of trying to impress others, just returned my focus on doing my thing. And my workout went well again.

IamRick and MonkG like this.
  3. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I have ADHD. My problem is than my brain is already so full of things that I would do, if I were to write it out, I'd make a list of 100+ things I would do... then proceed by procrastinate on all of them because the list is too big.

IamRick likes this.
  4. IamRick

IamRick Fapstronaut

I was super nervous about talking to this cute girl I saw on the street. I usually just keep to myself & dont socialize, but I've been making efforts to come out my shell & no faps been a godsend for that.

So basically im approaching her then psyche myself out at the last second & make a b line for the bathroom before she notices me (Pathetic I know, but I literally had 0 social guidance as a kid & kept to myself for years). I'm in they're washing my hands for like 2mins till I say "Fuck It! im just gonna do this & stop being a bitch".

I storm out the mens room, confidently swagger up to this hottie and say hi. And you know what...the conversation was complete & utter shit, but it didn't matter cause I was elated immediately after. It felt so good facing my fears that the few minutes of awkwardness was totally irrelevant to me. I was sky walking for 20mins after that, & I walked up to another girl & we totally hit it off.

WalkingForward and Andre2807 like this.
  5. Andre2807

Andre2807 Fapstronaut

I'm a retired day-game/dating coach. Now married. Met my wife via cold approach :)