1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Extraordinary Form

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. The East still holds this tradition extremely well and expects non Orthodox to leave for the litergy of the eucharist.

Deleted Account and LavaMe like this.
  2. I go to spanish mass sometimes very deliberately. I have the missal so it doesnt matter that I dont hear the language and understand it. It reminds me that the mass isnt a place to like...learn or something. That might be a side benefit but its not the point. I can receive everything Im suppose to despite the languge used BUT if the exocist taught me anything its that the devil hates Latin most of all. Why is that? Why cant we use Latin if there is a case for it as the holiest of languages? Isnt it? Its in the sactus right before we knee for the first time...

Deleted Account and LavaMe like this.
  3. I've been attending the EF for a year now. My diocese is privileged to have an FSSP parish. It's been phenomenal as compared to most Novus Ordo parishes I've attended. Every single Holy Mass that I've attended at the FSSP parish has been reverent and beautiful. Latin is the official language of the Church, and the Mass has historically been said in Latin for most of it's earthly existence. The incense, bowing before the Priest (representing Christ, acting in Persona Christi) as he makes his way to the foot of the altar, for that matter PRAYERS AT THE FOOT OF THE ALTAR, everyone facing the same direction as the priest joins our prayers offering them up to our Lord, the kiss of peace (if there is a deacon, subdeacon) more incense, bells, domine non sum dignus 3x, actual theological lessons for homilies (lasting for ten minutes!), communion rails are a huge plus because you the communicant submit yet again to God and accept the holy sacifrice once more to humbly receive the body of our Lord Jesus Christ, and on and on! Man it is amazing to experience a Traditional Latin Mass, attend it as often as you can. I hardly attend OF Masses anymore, they are valid of course and can be celebrated reverently but, it pales in comparison. I purchased three Roman Missals in anticipation of regularly attending Extraordinary Form Masses. First, the officially approved 1962 edition Roman Missal put out by Baronius Press, it's a good Missal. My parish offers Holy Week with the pre-1955 rites so I've purchased two 1945 Roman Missals. The first is an edition I got straight from the FSSP website, the New Roman Missal by Father Lasance, it's excellent. This one contains over one hundred pages in the front to describe to the reader the entire Mass including the priestly vestments and the chalice and veils, how to use your Missal, setting up it's ribbons and so on. Finally the third Missal is an edition reprinted by Saint Bonaventure Publications, The Saint Andrew Daily Missal, I use this one the most.

*It occured to me that you may not be familiar with the acronym "FSSP", it stands for Fraternal Society of Saint Peter, it's in full communion with Rome and in good standing. In fact it's promoted often because the Fraternity's Priests are taught to celebrate Holy Mass exclusively in the Traditional Latin form. Now, even priests who celebrate Novus Ordo Masses are permitted to opt for Traditional Mass instead of the OF, they can do it privately and in many cases they are communicating privately, many of the younger Priests anyway. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2019
    LavaMe and Deleted Account like this.