1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of Work

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yesterday Andy Haldane warned that AI is threatening many jobs saying that 'simple manual jobs would be more at risk'. And that 'jobs that focused on skills of human interaction, face-to-face conversation and negotiation would be likely to flourish'.

What do you think? What industries are under threat? Are you concerned about the future of the industry you work in? Are you preparing to leave it? What is the future of work?

2. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I doubt if it will have significant affect in our lifetimes, I did do my doctoral thesis on AI using FPGAs and looked into using tensorflow for GPU accelerated learning. Let's just say it is scary what it can do thus far.

E.g
    https://deepart.io/

3. Minsc

Minsc Fapstronaut

The future of work is the difficult task of taking down Skynet.

To me, work is a combination of physical and mental effort required to complete a task. When AI does everything for us, then we'll just find another way to do things.

JoePineapples likes this.
  4. Fausterity

Fausterity Fapstronaut

Rather than instituting Universal Basic Income, we should instead ban the mass production of certain goods and allow individual craftsmen to make them instead. This would be far more fulfilling than simply getting a check from the state. We could even let people become farmers again, let the machines take care of the backbreaking work while people do the more enjoyable work.

manzonderp likes this.