***The Gratitude Attitude Challenge***

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by BushidoWarrior, Sep 21, 2015.

1. BushidoWarrior

BushidoWarrior Fapstronaut

1. I'm grateful for this quote I heard yesterday: "The closer you are to someone, the more love and compassion you feel for them. Who is the one person that you are closer to than anybody else in the world? You!" When I first heard it, it hit me like a ton of bricks. It has put me in the self-compassion mindset better than anything else I have ever heard before.
    2. I'm grateful to my room-mates for being decent people (repost). I appreciate their coolness and their niceness!
    3. I'm grateful for my glasses. With my glasses I can see clearly without having to put contacts in (contacts which have an expiry date and have to be taken in and out a bedtime).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for Kristin Neff. She pioneered self-compassion as an alternative to self-esteem in the modern psychological literature. It is thanks to her that one can go online and find a wealth of resources on self-compassion free of charge, and all spoken about in a secular context.
    2. I'm grateful for the Procrastinator's Anonymous Chatbox. This little gem of a website really helps me stay on track and be productive when I am having an impulsive, mind-wandering day. I just wanted to express my sincere thanks to the person who set this website up!
    3. I'm grateful for all the free educational resources out there. TED talks, Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, the list goes on. We are truly entering a miraculous age where the opportunity to learn almost anything is available to us instantly, and does not cost a single cent. Beautiful! I wish my grandparents could have had the opportunity to be reborn in a time like now. I'm sure they would have loved it!

3. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful that I got home safe last night. Small thing which I take for granted, but a blessing nonetheless.
    2. I'm grateful that it's a nice, lovely sunny day today. Yep!
    3. I'm grateful for the opportunity to live another 24 hours, despite my difficulties and challenges. Never forget the gift of being alive. It's precious!

4. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful that I got five hours sleep last night (and not zero). Five hours sleep, while not ideal, gives the brain time to rest, recharge, prune away unneeded synapses, consolidate memories, and do a whole bunch of other things which scientists have no clue about. So I'm happy for that reason.
    2. I'm grateful for oxytocin, the love chemical. It enables one to be friendly and loving towards others, as well as friendly and loving towards oneself. The latter is especially useful for getting into the mindset required to effectively deal with cravings and discomfort.
    3. I'm grateful for all the supportive people on this website (repost). NoFap truly is a wonderful, solidaristic community of people who all support one another, through the good times and the bad. It's a beautiful thing which I don't ever want to take for granted.
    Carpe diem, brothers and sisters.

5. bananaCat

bananaCat Fapstronaut

Just joinng! Very nice thread my friends! I am grearful for:
    1. This community! It gives me hope.
    2. My wife, for putting up with my bs mood swings.
    3. My kids, for showing me that I matter.

BushidoWarrior likes this.
  6. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for Christopher Germer, PhD. He, along with Kristin Neff, pioneered self-compassion as an alternative to self-criticism and self-esteem. I'm just beginning to open my heart to this way of thinking about myself, and it is already paying strong dividends.
    2. I'm grateful for love. A strong emotion, and a necessary emotion for the survival of the human species. Without love and compassion, we cannot exist. We are all part of the same human family.
    3. I'm grateful for Pope Francis. I am an atheist myself, and I disagree with the Catholic Church strongly on social issues such as abortion, gay marriage, etc. But I cannot help but be deeply moved by Pope Francis' acts of compassion and warm-heartedness, and his staunch, unwavering advocacy for decisive action on climate change and massive wealth redistribution to the poor. I mean, he chose to eat lunch with a bunch of homeless folks instead of the Dem/GOP politicians when he visited the United States; how much more awesome can you get?

[​IMG]

7. bananaCat

bananaCat Fapstronaut

I am grateful for good health. My family caught a nasty virus and we are all down with high fevers. It is a blessing that I am usually healthy.

I am grateful to my sister-in-law for bringing us food and meds while were all sick.

I am truly grateful for bruproprion, which has helped me stop smoking, drinking and fapping.

8. Darkstar 22.84

Darkstar 22.84 Fapstronaut

1. I'm grateful for having a roof over my head
    2. I'm grateful for having money to buy food
    3. I'm grateful for discovering John Mayer
    4. I'm grateful for getting up and go, every day
    5. I'm grateful for having legs
    6. I'm grateful for being tall
    7. I'm grateful for having a functioning dick
    8. I'm grateful for having had women in my life
    9. I'm grateful for having an easy job
    10. I'm grateful for having begun work on my graphic novel

Alyx and BushidoWarrior like this.
  9. GmanUK

GmanUK Fapstronaut

1. I am grateful that I am able to move around and explore this beautiful world
    2. I am grateful that I have a strong, resilient spirit that always rebounds after difficult times
    3. I am grateful for all the supportive people I know and have known in my life who choose to see the best in me.

10. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for the fan that keeps me cool right now.
    2. I'm grateful for the ability to read books on my Kindle. Especially relevant right now, given I'm reading an important book on self-compassion.
    3. I'm grateful for the ability to keep functioning despite low sleep. It takes discipline, sure. But I have the autonomy and free will to choose to keep marching forward through difficulty.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Alyx likes this.
  11. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for the beautiful sunny day this morning.
    2. I'm grateful for having complete voluntary control over my body.
    3. I'm grateful for Ivan Torrent. He's, by far, my favorite Epic Trailer Music composer.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for the majesty and the complexity of our universe.
    2. I'm grateful that death did not come for me while I slept.
    3. I'm grateful that my loved ones are still alive, and that they are safe and happy.

13. the_grindel

the_grindel Fapstronaut

Hello @BushidoWarrior !

I love the idea of this thread. I can say honestly that developing a habit of gratitude has changed my life in ways I can't even describe.

There are two things I do daily that helped me get to this point:
    1. The Five Minute Journal (http://www.fiveminutejournal.com/). It was well worth the $25 I spent on it. You could even just create your own, as they show you what the pages look like on the webpage.
    2. I have a minimum of 15 minutes of uninterrupted grateful thought every day. In order to make this possible, I made a list of everything I am grateful for and every day I just read through the list. I think about certain items more than others, but I feel grateful every single day. I am always creating new gratitude lists, so there is plenty to choose from.

To end, I'd like to add that I'm grateful for this thread. It's very inspiring!

14. BushidoWarrior

That's great @the_grindel! Welcome!

15. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for being born in Australia (repost). The second-highest standard of living in the world, awesome weather and beautiful women everywhere. What's not to like?
    2. I'm grateful for the mindfulness training I've been doing. I've practiced mindfulness / meditation on and off for many years, and I'm very thankful for all the experience I've accumulated up to this point. It's paid massive dividends!
    3. I'm grateful for the 6-7 hours sleep I got last night. Better than getting 0-3 hours sleep, that's for sure!

16. BushidoWarrior

1. I am grateful for the ability to record myself speaking. I'm a think-out-loud kind of guy. And, after today's Relapse, I recorded myself monologuing out loud about it. And, during this session, I had some of the most amazing insights ever about myself and how I relate to the Rebooting process. I am undertaking the long and tedious process of converting it to a blog post right now. It might take a while though. Stay tuned!
    2. I am grateful for The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion by Chris Germer. A great resource for meditators, and one I am currently reading! I've learned many wonderful things about how to apply mindfulness and self-kindness to your everyday life from this amazing book.
    3. I am grateful for Star Wars. I love Star Wars. I really, really love Star Wars. If Star Wars disappeared from the earth tomorrow, I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably relapse, lol.

17. BushidoWarrior

1. I'm grateful for living (repost). Yeah, I'm tired as all fuck today, but at least I am alive and able to experience being tired, knowing it is just a temporary thing which will disappear when I get a good night's sleep. If I nearly die today, I can guarantee you that being tired will be the last thing on my mind. I know that I'll feel lucky simply to be alive!
    2. I'm grateful for all the free shit that you can get off the internet. Free education, free articles, free games, free music, free forums, free chat rooms, free photos, free wallpapers, free puzzles, free jokes, free streaming videos. We are blessed with a treasure trove of amazing stuff at our fingertips in the 21st century. It's a great, fantastic, beautiful and unbelievably wonderful thing!
    3. I'm grateful for the knock-you-on-your-arse, take-no-prisoners, fuck-you-up-good-and-hard, diabolical-insanity-strength atomic-grade ultra coffee we have in the kitchen. That's the only thing keeping me from falling into a exhaustion coma.
    Carpe diem, brothers and sisters. Make this day yours.

18. Divine

Divine Fapstronaut

1. I'm grateful for NoFap.
    2. I'm grateful for music.
    3. I'm grateful for my mom.

19. Divine

Divine Fapstronaut

1. I'm grateful to live under a roof.
    2. I'm grateful I have clothes.
    3. I'm grateful for food.