1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Key to Success

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by the_grindel, Dec 17, 2015.

1. the_grindel

the_grindel Fapstronaut

I suppose the title should be The Key to My Success, but that's alright.

I read a book called The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson.

The principle lesson in this book is that every thought and every action either takes you towards your goals or away from them. Every single one.

It's either helping or hurting, no in between.

Every time I have been successful with anything in the past few years since I read the book, it's because I have internalized this mindset.

There are often situations where you are presented with a few choices. In the fight again PMO, it's to fap or not to fap. If you have your goal defined and you have this mindset, the choice will become a lot easier.

This is usually at the top of my book recommendation list for anyone who asks.

What are some books that have helped you guys out?

2. Very good point! I will check out the book. I have noticed that most of the times I fail at PMO I have been sliding down a slippery slope of objectifying thoughts for days. It's one of the bleak advantages to haven taken 10 years to make some serious progress: I now fight my PMO battles long before they happen, long before I start losing control, by being aware of those thoughts that will fester and slip me up down the line... not sure if it's the same thing as you are talking about here... but it definitely made me think of it. I have read many may books that have helped me some way or another... for a short list I would pick these:
    "The power of now" Eckart Tolle
    "No more mr nice guy" by Robert Glover
    "Wild at heart" John Eldredge
    "Surfing For God" Michael Cusick

3. Tanner

Tanner Fapstronaut

The Slight Edge is a really great book! Its definitely one that sits on my favorites shelf.

A few other books that have been interesting to me:
    The Addictive Brain - Explains the science behind addiction. Mainly covers drug and alcohol, but does touch on PMO in one chapter.
    Think and Grow Rich - All-around classic self-help book. As Jack touched on, I really do think that beating PMO starts with controlling your thoughts.
    Simple Rules - This book really isn't a self-help book, per se. But, I still found it really interesting. I often see that we come up with really complex idea's, solutions, and plans that we think will help us solve problems. In reality, though - and as this books discusses - simple rules are not only easier to create and follow, but often lead to better results because we can actually stick with them. They are something that I think we can apply in our lives to catch ourselves before we fall off the cliff.

Also, I have the seen "The Power of Now" on another thread. I will be adding that to my reading list for sure.

the_grindel and Stijn like this.
  4. the_grindel

the_grindel Fapstronaut

@Tanner, I'll definitely be looking into Simple Rules! That sounds awesome. The Power of Now has been on my list for quite a while. I think it's about time to give it a bump to the top of the list.

@Stijn, How to Win Friends and Influence People is such a great book! I always return to it. I've also heard great things about Models. I have a pdf file of it somewhere on my computer. I've been intending to read it for potentially years now.

That's exactly it! Every thought either helps or hurts, and they do build up. Either way.

Tanner and Deleted Account like this.
  5. im_alive

im_alive Fapstronaut

The 12 week year, it's the only book that I know that breaks your 3 year vision down into what you should be doing every day.

the_grindel likes this.