1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. 11/30 (10 pm)

Also in bed at 10 pm.

This challenge transforms me into a much calmer person and I don't have as strong urges for coffee anymore :)

2. 12/30 (10 pm)

Two days in a row I have closed the lid at exactly the same time: 21:59:59 :D

3. Better late than never! Except that you were on time!

4. I need to do a reset. Last night I had shut down my computer at 9pm. Some fifteen minutes later I completely forget about this challenge and open my tablet (and go to NoFap, of course). Then I immediately realize what I'm doing. So this is not a real relapse but I want to be honest about this challenge as well. I'll start counting again.

Symbol of Peace likes this.
  5. 13/30 (10pm)

Yesterday I stopped using my devices at 8 pm and went out for working out.

Well, if you immediately stopped after you realised what you were doing... I would say it's pretty okay to continue as if nothing happened. I guess it depends on how much time you actually spent in front of the screen and if this disturbed your sleep and so on. Yesterday after 10 pm i accidentally unlocked my phone and started typing one letter in the google search field, then I realised what I was doing and quickly locked the phone again. At least I am going to continue as if nothing happened but you should do whatever feels best for you.

I would consider it a relapse if you
    1) forget about this challenge and use your device over one or two minutes
    2) you are aware of this challenge and use your device for anything else but the alarm clock

What do you think?

6. Well, this makes sense to me. And I didn't mean that we would need to be utterly serious about the rules.

After I realized I had broken the rules, I still decided to check something, so it took about one minute. Even when I was about to go in bed later, I thought that I could check something else, too, now that I'll make a reset anyway. Well, I didn't do that, but that mindset is all too familiar from the relationship with PMO. "Now that my streak is ruined, I could as well do something more." No, I can't.

So, let's try to not make too big a fuss about this. The most important thing about this challenge is that we are making a change on our habits. And I have already noticed it to be beneficial. Counting days in this challenge is then something we can have some fun with. I just wanted to think what kind of standards I would accept with my PMO streaks. And first of all I want to be honest to myself. That's why I make a reset. I'm absolutely fine with that you keep going. (I don't think that you have a reason to reset.) What caught my attention was that "What-the-hell effect" arising in my mind.

Now that I think about it more, it's actually exactly not taking this too seriously, which allows me to start again. If I take it too seriously, I can't let go.

It's always nice to think things through.

7. I agree with every word you say. Yes, that mindset is definitely something that is hard to control. When I have (pm-)relapsed in the past it has been terribly difficult for me to get back on track. Since the counter is back at zero anyway, it could be there for months... no it can't. The longer it is at zero the harder it is to get it start counting again.

Anyway, good luck! :)

8. 1/30 (9pm)

It's nice to feel sleepy in the evenings.

9. 0/30.

My wife and I wanted to watch a movie and it got late... I had first selected a movie (Game of Death with Bruce Lee) with play time 1:40:00 and it should have ended exactly at 22:00... after some 15 minutes I realised Bruce Lee wasn't even going to be in the movie so we switched to The Chinese Connection. This had longer playtime and we were already late... either I had to cancel the movie night or reset my no screen counter. So here I am, back at zero.

The movie was good! However, I can feel a big difference between this night's sleep and previous nights. I am more tired today. With that said, this challenge does change my habits to better ones.

Moving back my deadline from 22:00 to 22:25, it fits me a bit better.