1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ManAtWork

ManAtWork Fapstronaut

2. First day went really well. I closed my computer a few minutes before 21, was in bed before 22, and was up again before 6.

Force Majeure likes this.
  3. ManAtWork

ManAtWork Fapstronaut

Day 0/30 (22:15)
    Failed yesterday, bad insomnia

4. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Brilliant. I like this. Yes, I've been in the predicament you describe, and I do feel so much better when going to bed earlier than I'm inclined to. At first I thought you were going to challenge to avoid screens altogether, except for work or running household purposes, perhaps - and I've had a fantasy about doing that, too. Isn't it the worst starvation of screen addiction when the power goes out or batteries run out for a time? That shows how addictive even screens are.

5. 0/30.

It was my addicted brain that couldn’t stop looking. Was looking for some research paper....
    Counter-measurements taken: automatic suspend of my computer once every minute after 21:57.
    I’m also going to count one second after 10:00 as a reset, since this is the very reason why I stayed up 25 minutes more: it was one second at a time.

6. ManAtWork

ManAtWork Fapstronaut

Day 1/30 (22:15)
    Try to read everyday for at least half an hour before I go to bed!

7. I was on time with screens but it was quite hard to get sleep still.

8. 1/30. Computer started to go to sleep, woke it up twice but stopped five seconds before my deadline. :D

ManAtWork likes this.
  9. ManAtWork

ManAtWork Fapstronaut

10. OK otherwise but again my mind was so full of thoughts that it was hard calm down and sleep. I listened to some music and it helped. Technically I did look at a screen but never mind.

11. 3/30.

Took me three hours before I fell asleep yesterday, so annoying. I had a whiskey yesterday evening and it's most probably the cause. I drink very seldom and yesterday I couldn't sleep and the time before that I got a cold. From now on I am going to stay away from drinks with more than 20% alcohol completely. I haven't decided a time frame for that yet, I want it to last for the rest of my life, however, I'm not going to put that on my self-discipline list since then I'm bound to fail. Before I come up with any better time frame, I have decided to stay away from drinks with more than 20% alcohol for the rest of the year.

12. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

I'd love to do this. Unfortunately, I sometimes have to do last-minute work on a computer before bed. Sometimes, this even keeps me up late.

So would this be an acceptable commitment:

No screens after 6 p.m. unless I have a next-day deadline I haven't completed​

?

It's 6:20 as I write this. I'll turn off my computer and try to avoid screens for the rest of the night.

13. Screen time lasted to 21:30, and sleeping time got delayed as well but mainly for another reason. I've got the last day left of my promised week. I might continue next week, too.

14. To me, this actually sounds better than what most of us have done in this challenge. I wish you success with your goal.

15. Reformulate the rules exactly as you want, write it down in a post and then execute. The rules in themselves aren’t very important, it’s the commitment and execution that is.

16. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

Very cool! I'm in! Yesterday I got off my computer after posting that message--so...

1/30.

Keep it going, y'all!