1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

1/30

Finally got it last night!

Force Majeure likes this.
  2. Philosophical_Dad

Added exception 5.

3. Didn't strictly adhere to the challenge last night, but my offending time was very minimal: only about 30 seconds, so I think it's a good start. Am going to try and have 0 offending seconds tonight though.

4. Philosophical_Dad

Nice! 30 seconds is way less than I would be spending before I started this challenge. If it's the same for you, then that's a kind of success. And it's awesome that you're aiming even higher. Keep it up!

5. Philosophical_Dad

2/30.

Though I kind of used a loophole in the wording of my rule last night. My rule is:

No screens after 6 p.m. unless:
    1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,
    2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,
    3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,
    4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps, or
    5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery.
    The problem with this rule is that, technically speaking, once screen access is allowed by one of the conditions 1-5, there are no constraints on what I can use screens for. So last night I had to work a bit late to meet a next-day deadline. Fine and good. But then the "no screens" requirement was negated and, I reasoned, I can also watch YouTube. So I need to revise the rule again:

No screens after 6 p.m. unless:
    1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,
    2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,
    3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,
    4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps, or
    5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery.
    If I use a screen after 6 p.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen. For example, if I'm working to meet a deadline, every tab, window, or app I open must help me meet this deadline.

6. Four days of no screens in the (late) evening. Sleep is getting better.

7. Philosophical_Dad

3/30

Yesterday's rule change seemed to work! I had to work after 6 p.m. and only used my screen for work. This meant that I was more productive than I otherwise would have been and that once I was finished with work I started winding down and getting ready for bed instead of lingering on the internet. I got work done and went to bed early. I can't remember the last time I did that...

8. Well done, keep going like that!

9. 16/30

This is hilarious. You function exactly the same way as I do. I also have strict rules for myself but if I have formulated any rule too loosely, I will take that as an opportunity to cheat.

What I do nowadays is that I use Trello and write down all my rules. If a rule is on the list, I will stick to it no matter what (all rules have expiry dates that varies from hours to several months). It works like a charm. That's also why I haven't been here since Wednesday, I had a rule that said I would not do anything else on my computer than working on a specific feature, until it was completed. Now it is! Yay! Happy Friday :)

The Great Safecracker likes this.
  10. 17/30. Woke up at 05:50 and went out for a run plus 100 pull-ups. It was completely dark and raining. feels good.

11. Philosophical_Dad

Thanks dude!

12. Philosophical_Dad

Damn. That's impressive. Good job!

13. Philosophical_Dad

4/30.

I gotta check out Trello.

14. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

I'm in for the challenge. 11 PM
    Day 0

15. 18/30

Maybe I should add they weren’t done in a row :D

16. Philosophical_Dad

Still impressive! I'd like to be able to do that many pull-ups in a week!

17. Philosophical_Dad

Accidentally looked at an email app after 6 p.m. last night. 0/30.

I will say that, even though I keep breaking my streak, I still feel really good about this challenge. When I do look at a screen for one of the wrong reasons after 6 p.m., it's usually very brief. I don't feel like I'm getting sidetracked or kept up late or compulsively going down rabbit holes.

18. Napav

Napav Fapstronaut

I started it today.. and failed on first day itself..
    It's ok, will start again
    Day 0

19. Philosophical_Dad