The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Force Majeure, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

2. Philosophical_Dad

0/30

Staying off screens in the morning, until I'm dressed and ready for the day, has been another big help. What a great challenge this is.

Unfortunately, last night I worked late and watched some YouTube as I did so. That seems to be a consistent problem. Back to 0.

3. Force Majeure

Force Majeure Fapstronaut

4. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

i stayed today off screen from 4am to 2pm of waking hours, plus overnighter,
    i find it important to keep it within some limits, otherwise... things are not so good

but i can't find consistent hours at it, is it ok to participate just by reporting
    from time to time about delimiting the screen time "on the fly"?

0/30

5. Force Majeure

I am not sure what you’re asking, nor what problem you’re trying to solve. Could you elaborate it a bit? Would help me to give you a proper reply. Normally I encourage people to modify challenges if that increases their probability of success. :)

6. Force Majeure

7. Philosophical_Dad

8. Force Majeure

9. Force Majeure

11/30. A few minutes after but nothing serious.

10. Philosophical_Dad

11. Force Majeure

Reset. Couldn’t resist the task of solving a crypto challenge. Solved it 30 min after my deadline.

Anyhow, this challenge makes a huge difference for me anyway, since going to bed a bit too late once every two weeks is a lot better compared with going to bed too late every day.

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  12. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

so basically - my problem is - when i forget myself and spend too much time with the computer then i'm just wasting time, and also some clarity in my thinking/ creativity(that's what i observed in myself), but trying fix timing is just doesn't work for me, i guess maybe this challenge per say is not for me... but thanks for reply anyway.

i can't quantify it, but i need to just keep mindful not to stay on screen for more then it's reasonable - cheers

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  13. Force Majeure

Ok, so if I understand it correctly, you would like a challenge that could save you from binging screen time but not a challenge that forces you to stop at a certain time?

14. Force Majeure

15. Force Majeure

16. Philosophical_Dad

17. Philosophical_Dad

TangoTao, I totally feel the same way about wasting time on the computer. (Other things can have the same effect, for example, TV.) Differently people probably need to address this problem in different ways, based on their schedules, lifestyles, psychology, etc.

If you're interested, Nir Eyal's recent book Indistractable might have ideas that you'd find helpful.

Good luck!

TangoTao and Force Majeure like this.
  18. Philosophical_Dad

Yes, exactly!

Force Majeure likes this.