The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Force Majeure, Jul 28, 2018.

1. DimovBG

DimovBG Fapstronaut

Ok guys I am in for that.
    My plan is to not use any screens after 8 pm. and before 9:30 am.

Force Majeure likes this.
  2. Force Majeure

Force Majeure Fapstronaut

3. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

4. Philosophical_Dad

Slight change to my rules:

No Screens Challenge

No screens

A. after 6 p.m. or

unless:

1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,

2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,

3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,

4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps,

5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery, or

6. it’s looking at a “challenge” or “Time Block” Google Doc.
    If I use a screen after 6 p.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen. For example, if I'm working to meet a deadline, every tab, window, or app I open must help me meet this deadline.

And no screens

B. after 4:30 a.m. until I'm fully dressed and prepared to leave the house with my daughter

unless:

1. I'm not taking my daughter on our morning jaunt that day,

2. It's to check the weather,

3. It's to check whether something's open,
    4. It's to check a "challenge" or "Time block" Google Doc,
    5. It's an emergency, or
    6. It's to check Google Maps.
    If I use a screen after 4:30 a.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen.

TangoTao likes this.
  5. Force Majeure

0/30, bummer. I’ve been working too late in the evenings and my head has had a hard time stop thinking.

I’ve just decided to do a mental detox. I have realised I have way too many things around me that waits for me to work on them, which essentially leads me to work a little bit on every piece, which in turn leads me to not get anywhere, since I’m not focused enough on the same thing. I need to think about what my life goals are and reduce the number of potential distractions. After this mental detox, what I want to achieve is to have a small set of projects I can work on, which all share a common theme.

6. Philosophical_Dad

Really interesting! Good luck!

As I read this, I realized I'm dealing with a similar problem. Lately, I've tried "smart goals" and used those to "time-box." I haven't been doing this for long but so far it's seemed helpful.

4/30

7. Philosophical_Dad

8. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

I noticed that progressivly i'm more interested in creating rather then consuming things/content, i used to be able to watch videos and anime series for hours,but now i cannot do 15 minutes - before something inside me tells me ... "Hey we are wasting time here, we are not producing anything!"
    13/30

9. Force Majeure

2/30.

Mental detox has started: I have filled an entire paper with things on the subject "Things that asks me about my time". Now my job is to distill this list and find out the why, what and how. Right now it feels like a completely random list of things without any connection but with some work I should be able to find a subset within all these topics that is my core interest somehow. I'm very much looking forward to find an answer on all this... because right now I have no clue what the answer may be.

Could you elaborate a bit more on that? Sounds interesting. Are you time-boxing different things so that you are limiting the time spent on things according to how important these things are with respect to your long-term goals?

Edit:
    It turned out 20 things/projects were just pure random things, unrelated to each other but 15 other things shared a common theme, which indeed matches my core interest. Seven other things/projects were in a grey zone in the sense that they were touching the common theme indirectly, which makes it better to focus on the other things instead. That said, out of 42 things/projects, 27 of them can be removed and more focus can be put on the other projects. Feels like a good start! Now I can continue thinking on why I'm even interested in these things. With some work I should be able to define a motto that can guide me in the future when I evaluate whether I should start to work on a new project or not.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  10. You are a busy man, @Force Majeure! Have you really had 42 projects going on? What kind of things did you count for that? Are there normal life tasks included, like taking care of your family?

11. Force Majeure

Oh, no I didn’t have them all going on at all, I was just counting every potential task I could do, that I more or less have thought to do some time when time is right. For example, I have a book about topology and reading that would be one thing. Then I have a bunch of inductors in my lab because I’ve wanted to build a dcdc-regulator... Problem is, all these projects take up mental space in my mind and many of them don’t even share a common goal, so it just felt like a big mess. So why not write down every single thing you could do and try to see the big picture? Then clean it up. That’s what I did. Soon I’m going throw away a bunch of things as well so that I will never have to think about some projects again.

12. Force Majeure

13. 10/14

Bit too late but not too bad.

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  14. Now I totally understand what you mean. I've been very similar in that I have had all kinds of things that I'd like to focus on. This could have been a list in my head or on a paper. But it's so easy to overestimate what you can accomplish on a short term. And then this list of goals that don't receive your attention can become demoralizing and harmful for your self-respect. So the situation has to be cleared out somehow.

15. Philosophical_Dad

The smart goals are concrete, specific, achievable goals within a timeframe. So, when possible, I say how long it should take me to achieve. Then I schedule my time for the week, assigning time to different goals (these are the boxes) based on how much time I expect to need. I got the idea from Nir Eyal's book Indistractable.