The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

2. Philosophical_Dad

3. Philosophical_Dad

4. Philosophical_Dad

These forums just haven't been working for me lately. Like, at all. I'm going to take some time away from them. Maybe try tweaking my goals. I may come back and try again in the future.

5. I hope you find a way that works for you. My belief is that one needs to build up a good amount of self-trust through perseverance in order for any method to work. Once you have a firm grip around your self-trust, you can conquer anything. On the contrary, if you loose self-trust, you need to start over again from the very first steps.

Philosophical_Dad likes this.
  6. I’m in again, no screens after 21:45, starting tomorrow.
    -1/30

7. Philosophical_Dad

Thanks for the advice. It makes a lot of sense to me. I'll ponder it and think about ways to incorporate it as I keep trying to make progress. Jon Kabat-Zinn, whose writings have often provided me with valuable guidance during difficult times, emphasizes the importance of faith--not faith in anything supernatural but, I think, in something closer to what you're talking about. It's an aspect of his thought that I never felt I fully understood. Now might be a time to think it through some more.

The last two or three days have been better. I've been meditating more consistently, which feels like it's helped. I've also amended this challenge to include restrictions on how much time I can spend on news or politics sites. So far I've been able to stick to these restrictions and it's made a huge difference. I do get sharp pangs of sadness as I think about what's happening to the country, and what's been lost. But I've been less angry and more focused since I stopped reading the news. News about Covid, the economy, and politics in the US, and Texas in particular, had been, for me, infuriating, depressing, and terrifying all at once. Starting every day with a large dose of those emotions was setting me up to be distracted, depressed, and stressed throughout the day. I've also joined a personal accountability group for people struggling with similar issues during the pandemic. Our first meeting will be tomorrow. It was organized by an old friend. I'm hoping that will help too.

2/2

Force Majeure likes this.
  8. Philosophical_Dad

9. Philosophical_Dad

10. Philosophical_Dad

11. Philosophical_Dad

12. Philosophical_Dad