1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Force Majeure

Force Majeure Fapstronaut

3/3, extending it to seven days.

3/7

2. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

3/30

Went to bed 21.30, half an hour early. Was exhausted from lack of sleep + physically intensive day. Read a few pages in a book but fell asleep almost right away.

Man I love your mindset. You love working huh?
    I have been frustrated when trying to sleep, because I was wide awake more than 2 hours after going to bed, and I felt bored. I was getting impulsive thoughts such as: "I'll just grab the remote for the TV real quick". For the past few months I've had youtube running when falling asleep. I've got to get out of that. Luckily I changed to a new apartment the day I started this challenge, and I think pushing through new habits will prove easy because of the change of surroundings.

100% likes this.
  3. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

4/30
    Think I fell asleep around 0:00 - 0:30. I've also made the goal of getting up at 6:45, which I have been doing the last few days. I wonder how long it'll take for my sleep rhythm to adjust.

100% likes this.
  4. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

5/30
    Fell asleep around 0:00 - 0:30 again.

100% likes this.
  5. Force Majeure

0/7

Yesterday, I woke up at 04:50 and started working. I don't know why but I completely forgot this challenge and just continued working until 22:30 (of course with some pauses during the day). As I have learnt many times before, getting to bed this time is too late for me, apparently I ignored it. Today I will have to live with the fact that I'm going to be less effective than I could have been.

I will make it harder for me to forget this vital thing again so I will activate a script I once did, it's a script that puts your computer into sleep mode once every minute after a certain time. If you have to save something, just wake the computer again and save your things, you will have a few seconds before the computer gets to sleep again. The script is for MacOS but should work for Linux as well with minimal modifications. I will share it here in case anyone is interested.

In the terminal type
    $ crontab -e
    and enter the line
    * * * * * /Users/<your user name>/bin/nightshift
    save and quit
    add the file
    /Users/<your user name>/bin/nightshift with the following content:
    #!/bin/bash

[[ "$(date +%H:%M)" > "21:26" ]] || [[ "$(date +%H:%M)" < "04:30" ]] && pmset sleepnow

make it executable:
    $ chmod a+x /Users/<your user name>/bin/nightshift

Obviously <your user name> is the username you use on your computer. As my deadline is 21:30, I configured it to start sleeping after 21:26 (e.g. the first time at 21:27), so I get three reminders before the deadline is reached.

Man, that's consistently late! Trying to find out what kind of change that will help you fall asleep faster. Too much coffee? Too much thoughts? Fear of not getting asleep? Too little workout? Too little sunlight?

For sure, that's the best thing. Before, I worked on my own projects during evenings and some other job during the working hours. Now, I run my own company, so it's even more important to hold the deadline in this challenge, as that will make me much more productive.

6. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

6/30
    Fell asleep around 23:00

Well I've been used to falling asleep around that time for quite a while, I think my body just has to adjust. If I had to come up with some other cause though, it'd have to be that I just moved, and I'm seeing a lot of new people, so I'm getting a lot of stimulus I'm not used to.

Also, nice script you've got going there. I wonder what you do for work.

100% likes this.
  7. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

7/30
    Fell asleep around 23.00-23.30

I'm putting it away at 22.00

8. 4:30am

4:30am Fapstronaut

I'm in.
    0/30
    It's 1:41:33 now, will start tomorrow - putting everything away at 19:30:00

100% and modern milarepa like this.
  9. modern milarepa

modern milarepa Fapstronaut

I'm in

I'm going to make it until 4:00 pm the use of electronic devices.
    Let's see if I can pull it off

100% and 4:30am like this.
  10. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

8/30
    Fell asleep around 00:00.
    I guess the reason why I keep writing when I'm falling asleep is that I would like it to consistently drop to something like 23:00.
    Anyway I'm really enjoying doing this so far. It was really annoying to turn everything off last night, but glad I did it. Somewhere around 22:01 I realized I had forgotten to check and respond to several messages I had gotten through the day. And I'm really happy about that actually, because all those messages are not important. Instead, I've been focusing much more on myself. I really needed to do this challenge :D

11. Force Majeure

3/7. I will adopt a slightly later deadline for Fridays and Saturdays, given that the activity is watching movies.

9:30 is my deadline as well. What time that is most suitable probably depends a lot on your other routines as well, for example, I go up at 6:00 during weekdays so 9:30 works good for me.

4:30am likes this.
  12. modern milarepa

1/30
    stoped phone use at 16+00 hr
    I'm going also going to try to use phone and internet less than 1hr

13. 4:30am

1/30
    phone/ laptop was put away at 19:30
    had a lot of energy after, which went into reading and cleaning up apartment
    ate food late, got to actual sleep at 02:00: alarm went off 05:30am but got out of bed at 09:30

100% and modern milarepa like this.
  14. 4:30am

1/30 evening
    listened to man's serach for meaning on laptop from 7:30pm onwards
    checked posts on this forum now (21:49)
    Putting devices away 22:00
    Cleaned up apartment and packed for train trip tomorrow.
    Alarm set for 04:30am ;)

100% likes this.
  15. PeterGrip

PeterGrip Fapstronaut

16. Force Majeure

4/7,

Wow, I'm happy to see so many new people here! :)

17. modern milarepa

18. 4:30am

Back to 0/30
    Last night had screen open after 19:30.
    It led to relapse (non P)

100% likes this.
  19. Akeakua

Akeakua Fapstronaut

Day 0
    No Screen @ 21:00