The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Excellent! glad you made it through those days.

I guess what will help me is to stop being foolish :D. But hey, its D1 today and I feel confident to do better this time. I have been very focused and efficient last week - want to take that up again asap.
    It is funny, I felt a longing yesterday to browse news online - although there was no need for it - I had other things on my table and I had been through the newspaper already in the morning. Also, I noticed recently that there is this technews-page which I used to consume regularly about 15 years ago. Now, even though I stopped using it for so many years, often when I recall an address to type in the browser, this technews page is first on my mind. Makes me uncomfortable that something is at work and I hope I will be able to fix and reset eventually.

Happy you are here :). I would expect there is a strong correlation between 'late bed' and 'late screens'

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  2. Force Majeure

Force Majeure Fapstronaut

15/30. I feel confident in extending the challenge to 60 days, so here we go:
    15/60.

There's something special this time, I am feeling the inner power from my longest streak awakes.

Glad that you're back @The Great Safecracker .

Stephan S likes this.
  3. It was past midnight when my TV was still on. I believe, however, that after a declining sequence for one week I've got a decent no-screen time which is worth keeping.
    Exactly, and better sleep.

Stephan S likes this.
  4. D2 - feels longer somehow

Force Majeure likes this.
  5. Force Majeure

17/60. Going strong, it feels like I'm in a constant meditative state.

Stephan S likes this.
  6. It seems I have a problem with controlling my bedtimes at the moment. Last night after 11 I suddenly remembered I need to start doing something on my computer. It would have been quite okay, but then I kept going after midnight until almost 2 am. So, taking this challenge really is needed.

Stephan S likes this.
  7. Force Majeure

Why don’t you just start with deciding a specific deadline to go for?

8. I haven't been able to make any goals happen recently. More grand failures the last couple of days.

9. Force Majeure

20/60, checking in.

Stephan S likes this.
  10. 1/7; 00:05
    2/7; 00:00
    A bit better couple of days have enabled me decent sleep.

Stephan S likes this.
  11. Force Majeure

23/60, time flies. Looking forward to extend the deadline again :D

Stephan S likes this.
  12. Force Majeure

24/60. I'm just going to reiterate my rules. No screens after 21:30 with one exception: I'm allowed to watch movies until 22:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.

Stephan S likes this.
  13. I completely forgot I'm doing a challenge last night when I was making some plans and reading my notes from a screen. It continued past midnight. Even though I was eager to do my work, it would have been better to be sleeping at that time.

14. 1/7 I was listening to a discussion pretty late. It is somewhat grey zone even though I wasn't literally watching screens .

Stephan S likes this.
  15. Force Majeure

25/60

I know what you mean, the discussion you were listening to kept you awake the same way screens keep you awake, right? I have felt the same thing a long time ago. Even if the feeling is the same, I wouldn't call it a grey zone since you weren't using any screens, so I think you can move on. If you want to prevent it from happening again, go ahead and change your rules from now on.

Stephan S likes this.
  16. I happened to have it on the background while I was doing some manual work. (Somehow I seem to be stuck at doing work at late hours. It will hopefully get easier shortly.) If it was the sole reason I stayed awake, then it would have been basically the same as watching a movie, for example.

17. 1W
    just checking in briefly.
    Glad you are both doing well. It is the right decision to not compromise. Grey areas undermine your actions and intention. The grey tends to become darker gradually.

Force Majeure likes this.
  18. 3/7 23:19
    Getting in the right direction.

Stephan S and Force Majeure like this.
  19. Force Majeure

28/60, checking in. Instead of relapsing, think of how much better you can be if you use the time to work on yourself instead. Yesterday, I was close to a relapse and the whole day could have been lost in binging. Instead, I did two guided meditations, had a long cold shower, a nice walk in the woods and listened to a very good podcast about the dopamine system.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Stephan S likes this.