1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official OST Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lord of the Ocean, May 2, 2018.

1. Lord of the Ocean

Lord of the Ocean Fapstronaut

Please share your thoughts on original soundtracks in this thread. Video game, movie, and television program OST's are all acceptable.

I will share my thoughts on one I am about to listen to jogging shortly.

2. Tiger's Breath

Tiger's Breath Fapstronaut

Looks like Lord was being too rude for school.

Adios amigo.

Hans Zimmer is a symphonic genius who adds a touch of refinement that will nourish your intellect more than indulge your taste for dope beats.

3. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

i have seen this movie.........tom cruise

4. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

this ost is from anime attack on titan

5. Tiger's Breath

Tiger's Breath Fapstronaut

Never saw it but almost. Not an anime fan but read amazing stuff about it.

Thanks for the foreign film inspiration (well for me not being Japanese) I will seek out some foreign OST's myself. Didn't honestly think about that.

Perhaps JRPG's are a good place to start.

SilentJay313 and u376 like this.
  6. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

you should watch this anime....its really very entertaining with first class action

7. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

One of the unknowns (and very niche, as far as soundtracks go):

One of the classics:

One of the greatest:

u376 likes this.
  8. To The Moon is a must play game it's story is incredible I still listen to the music regularly.

u376 likes this.

9. I didn't enjoy this film that much but won't call it bad. I wouldn't dare challenge the ideas of Mr. Nolan let alone look down on them.

This selection is certainly foreboding and I should stop before I mess it up.

10. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

11. ItsJustLark

ItsJustLark Fapstronaut

It stands for "Original SoundTrack."

12. ItsJustLark

ItsJustLark Fapstronaut

My favorite video game OST is literally anything done by Tim Follin. Sadly almost all the games he made music for were really crappy, stuff like Silver Surfer on the NES. He has done some music for okay games like Plok. Here are some of his best songs imho:

Femi and Anti-Hero like this.
  13. all of the LISA games have the best OSTs imo

Femi, Anti-Hero and ItsJustLark like this.
  14. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

15. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

16. I listen primarily to video game OSTs, mainly from games I've played, which tend to be RPGs. I am not an expert in video game music, but I have been listening to game OSTs nearly every day for years. Musical taste is subjective, as is every opinion I am about to share. Some of my favorites are listed below.

Every WoW soundtrack.
    This is the best production quality you will get, featuring talented directors like Russell Brower. And the quantity of music is vast as well - the shortest OST is ~4 hours and the longest is ~20 hours of original music. The vanilla WoW OST has a very nostalgic, early 2000's MMORPG aesthetic, with fewer live recordings than the later ones and more samples/synth effects. The more recent OSTs are mainly studio orchestra sessions, and are extremely powerful and expressive.

All of the WoW OSTs use a wide range of very localized folk instruments from around the world that you will rarely find in other soundtracks (such as the beginning of this track, which features the fujara). Mists of Pandaria has a distinctly Chinese leitmotif, and uses a wide array of East Asian instruments blended together with the standard Western orchestra, which I found very enjoyable.

WoW also has, in my opinion, the two best tracks of any video game:

Wrath of the Lich King - "Solitude"

WoW (classic) - "Ahn'Qiraj - Intro"

Many people also enjoy these powerful compositions, which are very hard to surpass:

Warlords of Draenor - "Malach"

Legion - "Canticle of Sacrifice"

Runescape.
    This MMORPG earned the Guinness World record for most original pieces of music in a video game, at 1,198. As with WoW, the early tracks are the height of gaming nostalgia, and the more recent ones have a sort of musical purity and sound quality that is hard not to appreciate. The tunes tend to be short, catchy, and typically lighthearted, but irresistible all the same. I listen to this album fairly regularly:
    "Runescape OST Classics"

The Witcher Franchise.
    Three games, each with an incredibly rich musical atmosphere. Each title has a vastly distinct presentation from the others, yet they all manage to capture both the darkness and beauty of Andrzej Sapkowski's fictional universe. The first game attains a very immersive folk atmosphere, despite the low budget and mostly pre-recorded sound samples, and is my personal favorite. The Witcher 2's soundtrack has fewer outstanding tracks overall, but features several of the most beautiful tracks of the series. The Witcher 3 OST has an outstanding production quality and is much longer, and utilizes authentic Slavic and celtic folk instruments which give it a unique presentation.

My favorite track from each of the three games:

The Witcher 1 - "Peaceful Moments"

The Witcher 2 - "Dwarven Stone upon Dwarven Stone

The Witcher 3 - "The Fields of Ard Skellig"

Other great soundtracks include those of Skyrim* (and other Elder Scrolls titles), Icewind Dale*, Surviving Mars, the Zelda franchise (esp. Wind Waker), World of Tanks if you like battle music (as much as I hate it, this game had a musical overhaul a few years ago and the soundtrack is rather good - this track in particular is incredible), EVE Online, and many more which I will include as I remember them.

*Interesting note: Skyrim and Icewind Dale feature the same composer, Jeremy Soule. He was also a composer on the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Soundtrack. You can hear the stylistic similarities if you listen closely.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
    Femi, ReVera III, Anti-Hero and 2 others like this.
  17. Femi

Femi Fapstronaut

One of the best OSTs I've ever heard in a game, remains in my top 10 of all time. On one of the first levels, you're introduced to this beauty:

And another one for the old heads. If you've ever played this on the PS1 (or on PC), you'd know how fantastic this soundtrack was: