1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Popularity Contest

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by FaithWithGod, Dec 25, 2022.

1. FaithWithGod

FaithWithGod Fapstronaut

This has been messing with me for a while now.
    I have this close friend of mine and we've been friends for a very long time. Recently he has gotten really popular and making new friends and hanging out most of the time. I really feel left out when this happens and instead of like be happy for him, I'm like kinda angry and feel betrayed at the same time and it's kinda affecting our years of friendship. How can I be okay with him having new friends and hanging out with them instead of me? It's kinda like I don't want to share my friends with other people.

2. Just be honest with him, and tell him you miss spending time with him. Or an even better idea would be to go out with him when he is with his new friends and maybe they can become your friends too.

Brain-Police and FaithWithGod like this.
  3. FaithWithGod

FaithWithGod Fapstronaut

Bruh thing is I want to be okay without him as well lol.
    Like I don't even know why I get angry at him being popular maybe it's jealousy.
    But whatever it is I want to be able to not care

4. I’ve had this happen numerous times with people, it really does suck especially when they forget about you. I’ve even talked to a priest about this before and as I never understood it…

The best thing to realize is that these people are probably more sad inside than you are. They need to be validated in high status as a result for happiness. It’s sad but the fact he is leaving you behind is disgraceful when you were his original friend.

I would find a really good hobby soar in it and become a professional. One other thing is prayer, pray for a group is solid friends and let jesus and god guide you to this.

Beat you can do is Recover. It will raise your energy and people will gravitate towards you, believe me as a reference. It happened a long time ago for me and I was surprised.

FaithWithGod likes this.
  5. FaithWithGod

FaithWithGod Fapstronaut

Hey thanks for the reply but I ain't the most religious guy and I like to keep those things private.
    What do you suggest to do during recovery?

6. Pauley

Pauley Fapstronaut

In my book friends have no responsibilities and expectations towards each other. That makes friendship so light and easy.

To me this sounds like jealousy. Just drop it. Go out yourself and hustle.
    Also I wouldn't assume that he's sad inside and needs outside validation - this sounds like projecting one's own insecurities on other people.

Brain-Police and FaithWithGod like this.
  7. FaithWithGod

FaithWithGod Fapstronaut

How can I "Just drop" the Jealousy dude?
    That's the hard bit

8. Pauley

Pauley Fapstronaut

I don't know man. Recognize that it's stupid and counter productive. If you can't then at least use it as some kind of motivator...

9. Brain-Police

Brain-Police Fapstronaut

Meditate on it man. Write down why and how this jealousy pops up and be honest with yourself.
    You afraid of being alone? You afraid of being left behind socially?
    You fear that he might look down on you? That he might think he's better than you? Do you envy his success and want to be as popular as he is?
    Do you want to be outwardly cool and appear that you don't need anybody?
    Or better yet, go take out your feelings on the weights. If you don't have equipment or a gym membership, do 100 push ups, 100 sit ups
    And run for 2 miles with this thought of your friend on your mind the whole time.
    This is how you relieve it on a physical level and sometimes even mental level.
    I promise, it won't bother you after you're sweating it all out.
    Nothing destroys envy than working on yourself and improving yourself and feeling better about yourself.

FaithWithGod and Buddhabro2.0 like this.