The Queen is dead, Long live the King

For discussion about modern politics, politicians, and political and social trends and policies

1. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

Banning you for even asking.

2. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

[​IMG]

3. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins Fapstronaut

It's too late, Charles has been siphoning taxpayer money to fund an armada that will turn all of mainland Europe into a giant Greggs. He's waited long enough to be king and he intends to take advantage of it.

4. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

5. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

I am dropping the act - I laughed really hard the second you mentioned Greggs. Yall win, I'm moving back to yall sick roastbeef eaters country. Can't beat coronation chicken and scotch eggs :p

6. MrPriest

MrPriest Fapstronaut

Now we are talking, like c'mon you cannot compare a good sunday roast or some scotch eggs with freaking snails and frogs.

7. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

I recently had frogs for my mother's birthday in a Michelin starred restaurant. If you never had some, don't bother. Not much meat and it just tastes greasy. Snails however are delicious, but it's a taste acquired, I will give you that. Mostly the garlic butter though!

8. TheHouseAlwaysWins

TheHouseAlwaysWins Fapstronaut

Just be prepared for skyrocketing energy prices. And if you can't recite the new version of the national anthem on the spot the bobbies will beat you with their truncheons.

Cirilla likes this.
  9. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

This might be the most British sentence I've ever read.

10. Hey he was joking. The Brits sometimes do what I call 'affectionate antagonism'. Overall we love the French, and (to an extent) we are them.

11. Cirilla

Cirilla Badass Mod
    Staff Member

I know lmao! I was joking as well, precisely because of affectionate antagonism. I'm sad that my joke didn't come through haha

12. Bloodstream

Bloodstream Fapstronaut

Tbh I never understood this grieving or being happy for the upper class royals. As dear George Carlin said "They don't care about you.. at all". And you have no personal relationship to this person. Someone dying in the street from powerty, noone cares but if a queen dies that had everything served on a golden plate, people mourn. I would not care if any king or queen dies, I have no relation to them and they do not symbolize a whole country. Yes their lives have been documented more than the beggers but that does not mean they are worth more to me. On the contrary, most of us have more in common with the beggar dying in the street than a queen. It's a charade.

13. That would be an excellent point if you were talking about any commercial pop personality like musicians and sportspeople who indeed get an absurd amount of attention and care from strangers which ought to be directed elsewhere. This is a different case altogether. The monarch represents the nation, in a way he or she IS the nation. Not by doing but by existing as a living embodiment of a distinct culture. When the people grieve they are not grieving Elizabeth the person, they're grieving the late Queen as a symbol of their country. It's an act of patriotism, not celebrity worship.