The socially engaged AP challenge (not hide behind your device)

Discussion in 'Accountability Partners' started by Awedouble, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

Let me explain. Because so many groups are just by text and/or people are not otherwise socially engaged, because accountability alone is not being socially engaged with people I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else wants to make this happen. Put another way, it's being accountable not just for the abstinence of PMO but as a person, which is going to go much further and that's why traditional recovery communities work.

While we may be far apart geographically, we can make it more engaging by things like voice and/or video conferencing, which means real-time. Unfortunately this would be an issue for non-English speakers who uses translation software, but that's also why it is easier to connect socially with those who speak the same language, it's a matter of good communication.

We CAN do this, "we have the technology," but my experience has simply been people ignore this and don't see the importance of it. I don't have time to try to convince people about the importance anymore so all I can do is put this out there for people who already get it. It's a matter of taking it seriously and being real about it, rather than just playing around on an online platform.

MyNoFaPowers and Hachiro like this.
  2. AllenJT

AllenJT Fapstronaut

I agree with you on this and I for one would like to see it happen. However, being a college student without phone service, my phone calls are restricted to wherever I can get wi-fi. Because I am almost always at college, it makes it a little difficult to talk about some of the more personal details of recovery, at least in my case.

3. Jmush123

Jmush123 Fapstronaut

I can do text, voice, and eventually more. Do you have Telegram?

4. Awedouble

Awedouble Fapstronaut

I can get it, does it have voice? Lets try to get a few more people.

5. Jmush123

Jmush123 Fapstronaut

It does. So far I only have a few telegram partners from here. I can dm you my name

6. Ready to Win

Ready to Win New Fapstronaut

I agree that actual social engagement will yield much more powerful reinforcement that simple message boarding. I'm in, let me know how this will work

7. azadi

azadi Fapstronaut

I agree with you completely. The idea of video conferencing sounds great. I'm up for it if you still have room for one person

8. TheUltracheese

TheUltracheese Fapstronaut

I agree with your view. If you are not committed or feel that social attachment it's way easier to just let go and end up failing...

I' d be interested in joining if still possible. Please, let me know.

9. MyNoFaPowers

MyNoFaPowers Fapstronaut

I AM FUCKING IN THIS 100%!

^^ Bro, I am one of those people who gets it. This exactly what I was looking for. That real face-to-face interaction.

A bit about myself: Early 20s, Indian, working in the medical field in east coast USA. Been on this journey of stopping PMO since 2013/2014 (6+ years--fuck!). I've had my success and failure in this; I struggled a lot at the beginning, then went 400+ days clean at a point, many 100+ day streaks, had a really successful 100 day streak at the tail end of 2019, met a lot of personal goals then... but on Jan 23, a few days ago, ended that streak and relapsed 3 times (twice to P).

Looking to get serious again and turn my life around (and help out others in the process, in a synergistic win-win fashion).

I feel like knowing a REAL person that you can interact with face-to-face and keep in touch with would be a great next step. As the famous rat utopia experiment showed (see above), there's always extra power in having a real person to check up with. The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it's connection.

So, how are we doing this boys? Telegram? WhatsApp? I'm down for anything, just let me know.

10. Jmush123

Jmush123 Fapstronaut

1. the opposite of addiction is still sobriety and connection is somehow involved, 2. that youtube channel is disinformation, for real hard truths DM me

11. bigboibez

bigboibez Fapstronaut

I'm in, Skype or WhatsApp?

12. Shadow_Monk

Shadow_Monk Fapstronaut

I am up for a voice/videoconferencing group. Zoom has a free plan where up to 100 people can do a 40-minute call with or with video, either completely on-line or calling into a conference call number. We use GoToMeeting for work and it's great, but it does't have a free version. I'm Central time USA.

13. MyNoFaPowers

MyNoFaPowers Fapstronaut

Hey... so what's going on? Is this happening?

14. Roberto1973

Roberto1973 Fapstronaut

I need and want to join you guys ... zoom would be a great idea !!!!

15. Shadow_Monk

Shadow_Monk Fapstronaut

I haven't heard anything more on this. I still think zoom would be a great idea. I'd be happy to set something up next week if nobody else wants to take the reigns sooner. It looks like OP hasn't logged in for a couple of weeks, so I'd say the thread is abandoned unless we keep it going.

Roberto1973 likes this.
  16. Roberto1973

Roberto1973 Fapstronaut

17. TheUltracheese

TheUltracheese Fapstronaut

I am still up for this aswell

18. gettingalife

gettingalife Fapstronaut

19. Shadow_Monk

Shadow_Monk Fapstronaut

Hi all - I am willing to get something set up on zoom for group meeting thing. Who all is still interested. Give me some ideas on dates/times you would be available to get together (and time zones please). I am Central time USA, week days between 8-5 would work best for me, but I can be flexible on this