1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Takeover

For Fapstronauts of the Protestant Christian faith.

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

One week after his sand dunes trip ended, George called Charlie, the man he met at the dunes.

“George, how are you, charlie asked?”

“I'm okay. I've been trying to do what you told me, but it's not working. I've been trying to attack sin, but my lust addiction always gets me.”

“The key to overcoming is to find out where the breakdown is.

To do: Firstly, we should read the Bible daily. A chapter in the Old and a chapter in the New Testament. Even better, we should study God's commandments. A Google search will bring up a list for you. Better yet, we should meditate over and work on commands that we struggle with. Still better, we should memorize and pray over the specific verses that give us insight into our struggle.

Firstly, we need to know where the breakdown is because the Bible says that satan takes strongholds in our minds. He has taken over a portion of our thinking. With his stronghold, he keeps the power to consistently fill our minds with lust.

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 ESV

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ.”

Now, we need to take that stronghold back. Let's look at the “to do” paragraph. Some people read the Bible a bit, others memorize and pray over specific scriptures. But if we want to take the stronghold back it is important to do everything on that “to do” list.

Here is why. Let's just say that we both read the Bible and start to memorize the verses for quitting. But... we notice that every time we get drunk, or greedy, or covetous – you name the sin that starts you on a slippery path. Every time we fall into any habitual sin we fall back into the lust habit.

In that case, we were sloppy with other commandments. We agreed with God that the lust sin would destroy us, but we decided that the other ones would not. God said they will, but, just like Adam and Eve, for a minute, we think we know better.

Memorize the Adam and Eve story. They gave up everything for a stinking Apple.

If I will give up everything for greed, or if Bill gives up everything for partying, or if Alice will give up everything for things.

If we give up everything, then, we need something sinful to replace our emptiness. Or... we can agree with God that doing things His way will start to lead to a great life.

Here are a couple of prayers that you could consider praying a few times per day:

Pray: “Father, show me why these other sins are so problematic.”

Pray: “Father, I agree with You. Please help me.”

Secondly, the to-do list will take a lot of time and effort. But... if you do the “to-do” list, you now are starting to write a new ending to your very own Adam and Eve story. Now, you are rapidly breaking down satan's stronghold. Now, your story starts to include, blessings, purpose, and the start of a great joy. And... your takeover and take-back will increase in success.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Two days later, George called Charlie, the man he met at the dunes.

“George, how are you, Charlie asked?”

“I'm great. I've been trying to do what you told me, it's something I really want. But, the reason for my call is that I told my best buddy about the “to-do” list and he found it very overwhelming. Talk to me a little bit about that.”

“I have two stories for you. The first one is the famous story of jungle hunters who set traps for monkeys. They would make traps where the opening was just big enough for the monkey's hand. Then they would place a shiny object in the trap. The monkeys would reach in, but once they grabbed the object, their hand was too big to pull back out. Even when the hunters were coming to kill them, they still knew they wanted that shiny object more than anything. They refused to let go and the hunters got them.

Consider praying: “Father, help me not to overvalue pleasure and not to overvalue ______.” Most of us have about four blanks we need to fill in.

The “to-do” list is overwhelming... unless we let go of those shiny objects we value so highly.

The second story: I was speaking at a small church about overcoming addictions. I gave everyone a one-page handout of the main points. The group was so lively and enthusiastic, I loved it.

When I finished a lady walked up to me and said, “Can I have your notes.”

“I have more handouts, do you need one,” I said.

“No, I need all your notes.”

“But, this is my copy that I use for these talks.”

“You have other notes, and you have other notes in your computer.”

Now, the truth was... I didn't have this exact message saved. Sure I had these notes scattered here and there in my computer, but – wow.

She stared at me and said, “I need your notes.”

I gave her my notes.

Obviously, she had a son or daughter on drugs or something like that. And she did not want some random one-page handout. She wanted, “All the notes.”

Other people got a few good tips, she got all the notes. And if anyone who got information from that meeting quit for good, I bet it was her kid.

She wanted it. Nothing was going to stop her from getting it.