1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Dr.Jordan Peterson as of late?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Runtilmylegsdropoff, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

His name has been coming up a lot and I finally watched him being interviewed by Stephen Molyneux.

Toni7 and im_done like this.
  2. Garbage.

But I'm a SJW beta-cuck commulist so fuck me right ?

3. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Recognizing you have a problem is a good first step, so no.

4. ZappaDappaDoo

ZappaDappaDoo Fapstronaut

Good use more philosophy with his political stuff imo (his twitter is embarrassing sometimes). His psychology is spot on, however. Especially the old lectures, before he was famous

Runtilmylegsdropoff likes this.
  5. ZappaDappaDoo

ZappaDappaDoo Fapstronaut

There's a good critique at psychologytoday entitled jordan petersons flimsy philosophy life

6. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

Personally i think he is great

Toni7, Pai10 and Runtilmylegsdropoff like this.
  7. MellowFellow

MellowFellow Fapstronaut

From reading his latest book and listening to a few podcasts I think he's a good self-help guru with interesting things to say about Jung and the Bible (like a Western-focused Alan Watts).

When it comes to politics I'm ambivalent. I roll my eyes at the constant references to 'postmodern neo-Marxism' in the same way as when someone mentions 'cisheteropatriarchy' all the time. He is more knowledgeable than most people on a range of subjects but he's best when he sticks to his area of expertise.

I also think he is sincere when he says he wants to save people from the far-right, yet he seems to use a carrot on those tempted by the alt-right while using a stick on the SJWs.

8. i find him alluring from a psychology point of view, but the other stuff re policitcs, doesnt work or fit him

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Runtilmylegsdropoff

He's coming to San Francisco May 9th, and I would like to attend his speaking engagement. So it seems like the problems with him from people in this thread is that he doesn't tow the marxist/neo-liberal philosophies and talking points. I think that's what's so refreshing about the guy. No wonder he's enjoying rock star status as of late.

The seeker and Dr. Jekyll like this.
  10. ClaudeDuval

ClaudeDuval Fapstronaut

I enjoy his talks, just bought his book too. Anyone that puts the Frankfurt school Neo Marxist filth in their place is a good person IMO. They have infected our Universities for too long, it's going to come to an end. libertarian/conservatism is the new punk rock.

Toni7, Pai10, The seeker and 7 others like this.
  11. You guys love playing the victim card, right ?

No sane human being would buy that "Frankfurt school Neo Marxist" rubbish.
    It's a conspiracy. Nothing more. Nothing less.

And obviously it seems you can't think for yourself.

Converatism being the new punk rock is almost exactly what Paul Joseph Watson said, the soy pill salesmen that doesn't like to do his research right.

Overdosing on red pills seems like a great idea, sign me up. Hope there's no soy in them though.

12. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Sorry son, if I couldnt think for myself, I'd believe what you believe.

Gotham Outlaw and Dr. Jekyll like this.
  13. Runtilmylegsdropoff

20 years old and from Germany. Pretty sure you love what Merkel has done for you huh? I'm in the USA just so happy I am not your country.

14. Runtilmylegsdropoff

By the way, playing the victim card is the liberal way. Always was, always will be.

15. I only know him that he mentioned in an article on the rise of a new form of new atheism.

16. I never voted for Merkel and never will.
    Glad you already know so much about me.

Deleted Account likes this.
  17. MellowFellow

MellowFellow Fapstronaut

I think Peterson is a culturally conservative member of a new trend in politics which is basically liberalism with a backbone, individualism vs left and right identity politics, and evolutionary biology vs social construction. I don't think his politics and economics are that different from what we have today but obviously he thinks our culture is rotten.

18. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

On the whole Marxist Frankfurt school conspiracy thing

There is currently friction between the hard sciences and the soft sciences going on, which is incredibly dangerous. Freedom of speech in science is kind of the canary in the coal mine. It being threatened is a symptom of increasing polarisation in everyday politics, which is also very dangerous.

Both sides have science they like and science they don't like. Basically liking anything that supports their world view and hating anything that goes against it. If shutting down scientific study as being 'dangerous' for potentially having results that don't conform with your world view becomes the norm on the left it will also inevitably become the norm on the right as well.

This is a huge deal! Politics is becoming increasingly polarised and reducing this polarisation is important. When polarisation becomes too extreme bad things happen.

Preventing free scientific study will only increase polarisation further

19. Temujin

Temujin Fapstronaut

Watched the whole of that Peter Coffin video. Got triggered.

His view on biology was so bad. His views so inspired by the soft sciences.

Its so scary and evidence of the conflict between the soft and the hard sciences.

There is no way this argument is going to end well

At this point they are effectively speaking in different languages so its just going to deteriorate into power games

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    IbrahimViking and Peace467 like this.
  20. When he talks about God and the Bible he sounds a bit like Rob Bell with even more vagueness. Sure is no evangelical!