1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on religion

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 2, 2018.

1. "Religion is a product of man used to indoctrinate people into a very rigid way of thinking. It plays off of our most primal fear of mortality and provides foxed answers to questions that currently don't have any."

References aside, I think there's a lot of interesting things to be found in religion, but religion as a whole, I say is a very bad thing.

Don't really understand what you mean by which religion is real and which is fake. As long as there is a group with blind faith/following in an idea, philosophy, or worldview, it's a religion. That is its quintessential tenent.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2018
  2. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

Faith can be a great thing.

Thats not the same thing as religion though, which is one of the worst things to be invented by human beings. Its about power over your fellow human beings, not faith.

3. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

I would heartily recommend reading Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.

4. Leonzh

Leonzh Fapstronaut

I think Religion is the greatest tool for manipulating people's mind.

5. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

I agree, it absolutely can be. However religion isn't the only thing that can do that. Media, politics, ideology... there are many ways people can be manipulated. But I would agree with you that religion can be the most successful method at manipulating people.

Which begs the question as to why?

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Religion is a belief system, in a similar way political ideologies can be. Belief systems as a whole can be manipulative, but they can also be the basis of good. From college campuses to Media, we see many brainwashed political mouthpieces parroting their masters’ beliefs; in that sense, It’s quite possible some religious adherents are no different.

7. Religion is perfectly fine, it’s the zealots you have to worry about. Same is true for anti-religious zealots. Both groups are fuckwits.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2018
    Gotham Outlaw and SolitaryScribe like this.