1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To Believe Means To Love

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Son_of_Iroquois, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Son_of_Iroquois

Son_of_Iroquois Fapstronaut

The word 'believe' comes from the Old Germanic word "galaubon", which means "to hold something in high esteem, to trust in something, to have care, and to love". So to really believe in something means to love it, to have that quality of care and deliberation that is necessary to make sure something valuable is protected and cherished in this world of chaos.

I think this is a different way of looking at belief than what society seems to communicate to us. Society seems to associate belief with arrogance and childishness. People who believe in God, or who believe in something, anything, are often times ridiculed in our society, ridiculed by materialists who think that all belief is childish imagination.

But if we understand the true meaning of believing, which is loving, then "to believe" takes on a whole other meaning. To believe in God no longer means imagining an old man with a white beard. To believe in ourselves no longer entails arrogance or selfish pride.

Believing simply means that we are seeking an understanding, by establishing proper care, of that which we cherish. This is what believing really means. So in this context to believe in yourself is not an act of arrogance, it is an act of humility and intelligence. Believing is then the foundation for building true value within yourself and thus the society in which you live.

2. Yes I think this is the truth and also truly open-minded. This changes how I will use the word belief... I should use the word convinced more often instead.

Hedonists, materialists, atheists etc may claim to not be religious because they do not use the word God or explicitly associate with an established religion. But they have beliefs about the same things nonetheless (value / meaning of life and what leads to happiness etc) that drives how they see and interact with the world.

But you are speaking of a higher level of belief here and I think I am speaking more of belief at the level of conviction. Because a hedonist may be convinced that sex and pleasure lead to happiness, he also trusts that.. and for sure holds on to it... but to say he 'loves it' is a stretch. He is convinced it is the highest joy he can find in life. But it is not out of love but more out of stupidity or resignation and despair I think...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
    Son_of_Iroquois likes this.
  3. @Son_of_Iroquois

A very insightful post, thank you!

It reminds me of my thoughts on faith and that to have faith is to have trust.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2016
    Son_of_Iroquois likes this.