1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

To My Fellow Hardgainers - A Word of Encouragement

Discussion in 'Fitness' started by Rev2.0, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I'm a 55 yr old guy who started weight workouts and sprint intervals about 3 years ago, in conjunction with a radically reworked diet and NoFap, to naturally raise my testosterone levels. I am your classic ectomorph who reached most of my adult height (a hair under 6 ft) by the time I was 16 and have alternated between skinny fat and just plain skinny virtually all of my adult life.

A few weeks ago I was really starting to wonder if it was all worth it. I knew my shirts were a little fuller in the right places and my calves had grown but for all the hard work and calorie counting and macro management, the guy looking back in the mirror at me didn't look that much different than the guy 3 years ago.

But then yesterday my wife took my chest measurement for a sweater she's knitting me. She took it, looked at it, took it again and asked "did you work out today?" I said no and she said, "it's 41 1/2 inches" and I said, so what, and she said, "the last one I knitted for you, you were 38 and it still came out too big."

Now granted 41.5 is still a weenie chest for a guy almost 6 feet tall but I thought 3.5 inches was worth something anyway. And with still wearing the same size jeans at 183 lbs as when I was significantly underweight at 165. What's more, at this time last year I was measured at 39 for a tuxedo so that's 2.5 inches in just the past year alone.

My point being, keep at it. For guys like us the gains are incredibly, painfully slow but they DO come. Don't expect people who haven't seen you in awhile to say "wow you've really bulked up" because that's not how it works for us (unless we're getting "help" of course). Don't expect women to check you out or want to put their hands all over your body (although I'm told some go for the thin-but-toned types). You have to do this for you, and only you. And don't forget to celebrate the little, but regular, wins. Good luck and good lifting!

MaxEvans likes this.
  2. What kind of reboot history do you have, if you are married?

You know that NoFap does not raise testosterone, right?
    But it doesn't need to because the dopamine break is stronger.

I relate to a lot of this since I rebooted for the first time 3 years ago, when
    I was 43, with a big focus on weight loss, which turned into a focus on
    running, weight lifting and martial arts.

3. Rev2.0

Rev2.0 Fapstronaut

I'm married but on semen retention (involuntarily) since January due to wife's health issues preventing sex. I don't really know how much or little of my recent gains can be attributed to not cumming in over half a year. Some say it makes a huge difference, others say it doesn't make any and still others say it does but only if you abstain a ridiculous amount of time i.e. a year or more.

4. Yes, and also I think there is a lot of confusion about dopamine.

What I mean is that one guy might be on hard mode, but he drinks beer a lot.

So he's still getting a lot of dopamine, and doesn't think the reboot is very "robust".

Another guy gets no benefit, but he might be on an easy mode.

Yet another pigs out on sugar or drinks coffee or doesn't get enough sleep, and
    he ruins his hard or medium reboot as well.

All these guys who compare reboots are comparing apples and oranges.

One time on the phone call support, Alex mentioned that a "cleaner"
    recovery is where there are the most benefits to the mind and body,
    which I agree.

i89rt5 likes this.