[To staff] Edit date of birth

Discussion in 'NoFap Technical Support and Feedback' started by DoeDew, Aug 6, 2018.

1. DoeDew

DoeDew Fapstronaut

Dear staff, moderators and anyone else coming by,

I just realized that I must have accidentally put in the wrong month for my DOB.
    Apparently for some reason you can't edit it as a user, so I would like to ask if you were able to do that.

In my personal details section it says "Apr. 1, 1999" although my birthday actually is "Nov. 1, 1999".

Thank you for your cooperation

2. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman
    Staff Member

Currently, there is no way to change the dates unfortunately due to software and resource limitations.

3. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman
    Staff Member

4. DoeDew

DoeDew Fapstronaut

I'm sorry, I guess I should have read that - it was placed right in sight too - but I guess I didn't expect this to be such a frequent request.

Although I know what you mean, it is not impossible. The DOB is literally an entry in (most likely) an SQL database - so you (or rather the owner of the server) can, but obviously doing it manually every time would be unnecessarily time consuming - I understand that.

You know what, since I'm experienced in coding for desktop and handling SQL, although I have no experience with PHP at all, I will would try and have a go at implementing it myself (using a XenForo trial if there was a way to set it up on my own server).

Huh. The demo really is nothing more than that I guess.
    Dang. Kind of unfortunate.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  5. DoeDew

DoeDew Fapstronaut

Just in case this comes in handy, here is the SQL command to update the DOB of a user:
    Code:
    UPDATE xf_user_profile
    SET dob_day=X, dob_month=Y, dob_year=Z
    WHERE user_id = USER_ID
    (obviously you would have to fill in the placeholders X, Y, Z and USER_ID).

What this does is update (or "change") the table "xf_user_profile", by set-ting the values for the DOB to your liking where the user_id matches the one of the user in question.

You could also use
    Code:
    WHERE user_id IN (A, B, C)
    for editing multiple users.

But to anyone out there testing this, be sure to backup the database before trying something like that, because if you accidentally remove the "WHERE" limitation, suddenly everybody is the same age.

6. Alexander

Alexander Website Admin
    Staff Member

We are technically able to manually update user birthdays but we just don't want to since we're a small, overworked team, and doing so for 10,000s of people isn't scalable. So it's on hold until we can allow users to change their own birthdays without somebody from the team taking valuable time out of their day, away from more meaningful tasks, to do this individually by request.

If you would like to code a xenForo plugin to allow users to do this, that would be awesome. Get in touch.

7. DoeDew

DoeDew Fapstronaut

That's what I thought. I didn't mean to hint at that not being true. I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

Thank you for the offer. I'll read up on the docs that tell you how to create an addon and see what I can do. But I don't have access to an instance of XenForo and wouldn't be able to build, nor try the addon, so that might make it additionally error prone.
    I'll be in touch.