1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

True Key to Happiness

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by EyesToSeeEarsToHear, Dec 2, 2017.

1. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

EyesToSeeEarsToHear Fapstronaut

It's learning how alone everyone is in life.

It's learning how no one is ever understood.

It's learning, better quickly than slowly, that joy and happiness only come from your own effort.

Not your partner, not your family, not your friends, not your parents. Everyone will fail you here.

Effort alone brother. Try hard and enjoy it :)

2. Yanis

Yanis Fapstronaut

Oops. You talk about the true key and I talk about true happiness.
    Ever seen very small kids being happy, or even babies being happy? There are no efforts, there is just an opening up to the true joy that lies deep inside of all of us. Following your heart and not your mind will make you happy.
    Efforts are great - efforts in the right direction. Might be connected with self-acceptance and self-esteem. The change in my life happened when I realized I am absolutely lovable.
    There is a divine spark inside of me and this makes me lovable- not my efforts.
    Nowadays I am doing some efforts because I have understood that this life is very short and very precious. I don’t want to waste any time. Wasting time is the only sin I know. Doing efforts in the right direction avoids to waste time.

3. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

You are very lovable Yanis. No lie :). This life has many peaceful disagreements. No two people think the same.Thank you for reading :).

vxlccm and Yanis like this.
  4. Yanis

Yanis Fapstronaut

Thanks, you made my day. :)
    You are a wonderful person exactly you are right now. No more efforts needed.
    Do efforts when you feel responsible to do them. Can’t quote the bible. My religion is kindness. “The kingdom of heaven is within” - so true.

5. lamstronger

lamstronger Fapstronaut

I too believe that you're responsible for it. For example, a relationship shouldn't be the reason for happiness.

EyesToSeeEarsToHear likes this.
  6. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

Key to happiness is getting rid of desire and attachment and being content with the present moment

7. alexgrin

alexgrin Fapstronaut

all in balance. I think it's the key

8. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

Effort teaches us what we can and can't do. This humbles our hearts.

Humility makes us enjoy our life and friends ☺️. Humility's the promised land.

Effort humbles our heart and mind. This humility is what makes us happy.

Hitto likes this.
  9. Lopez760

Lopez760 Fapstronaut

Helping people and putting GOD in my heart is bringing me happiness :)

10. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

Good man :). Let's explain what it means.

"Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves." Galatians 6:2-3

"But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked." Luke 6:35

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Lopez760 likes this.
  11. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

meaningful connections with others is very important to being happy and content with life. humans have evolved with this need because our very survival and well being depends on it. after countless years this primal instinct has not gone away and cant be completely overcome.

Regardless, living in line with your values is integral to a good sense of self worth. that being said, your mindset can be sculpted towards something that isn't so dependent on meeting those standards.

it's really up to the individual to decide what they want to feel they need to be happy.

12. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

Hm. And when the individual is a newborn infant? Or mentally ill? Severe schizophrenia for instance.

I've lived with two suicidal family members. One a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic.

The human ego is very disorienting. The 5 senses often aren't accurate in perceiving life as it is. The human ego is far less accurate.

This can start being understood in trying to understand mental illness. And the proven fact that its debilitating affects can be lessened and offset by certain simple habits. Habits like receiving and giving kind words, like meditating, and like praying.

Love without discipline is not healthy love. It is addiction. And addiction destroys the natural beauty, appeal and strength of the human mind, will, and finally but most obviously the body.

13. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

i wasn't really arguing with anything you said and that still doesn't make what i said any less true.... Maybe it just didn't come out the way i wanted it too. 1st love, 2nd discipline, 3rd simple habits.
    and a newborn infant is dependent a healthy connection with it's mother in order to have good psychological development. if not it can a really hard time adjusting and building quality relationships later in life. this is a basic understanding of evolutionary psychology.
    Mental illness doesn't remove this need and a lack of it can actually exacerbate the symptoms of say, severe depression, anxiety. i know people with schizophrenia and most of them have the same basic human needs as everyone else, unless they are an extreme case.
    i was just trying to point out we have evolved to need these things, regardless of how much meditation or praying you do. Empirical Facts don't change this.

g2g back to my meditation.

14. EyesToSeeEarsToHear

It's obvious you mean well ☺️. And you are no doubt very intelligent.

We will kindly disagree on something. That human discipline precedes the human ability to love properly at all.

My first reply was in response to your finishing statement about an individual's responsibility to decide what makes them happy. My view on discipline bleeds into the disagreement I posted on that.

I have spent far too much time on this forum today . I caught some sort of cold very early this morning and I've been resting and cleaning to kill what's making me sick lol

Menta_Na likes this.
  15. I don't think this would apply to adults since children lack responsibility, experience, and knowledge. Their happiness is found in their innocence and in their ignorance. Fast forward to them being adults and their way to achieve happiness must evolve as well. Now do I agree that effort is the key to happiness? No, not really. I believe the key to happiness is gratefulness.

16. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

Overall i would say there is no one thing, it is a multifaceted problem involving your psychological development and upbringing, position in hierarchy to those around you, world views, internal dialogue, meaningful connections with others / healthy relationships "and how far in line your actions are with your values" = Discipline. not to mention your genetic predisposition to neurochemical production, which can vary greatly from person to person, conscientiousness. And don't forget about diet and lifestyle choices to.....

17. Yanis

Yanis Fapstronaut

I like that.
    I don’t want to discuss about happiness, everybody has to find out by himself or herself what makes him or her truly happy.
    And how do I get gratefulness? I have to find out by myself.
    Half year ago I was sent in a clinic and for some days it looked like there might be only some weeks for me to be alive. Instead of getting into panic there was a most beautiful feeling of gratitude inside of me. To feel grateful to be alive. To realize how blessed I am, to realize that each breath is a gift.

18. Lopez760

Lopez760 Fapstronaut

Amen to that brotha its all true :) to much hate in this world and selfishness so the GOOD has to overcome these :)

19. Fighter84

Fighter84 Fapstronaut

EyesToSee... your post speaks to me in a very direct way. You are right. The part about effort, it makes sense to me in this way:

If I passively sit and expect others to give me what I need to be happy, then I will be sorely disappointed. Happiness seems to me to be an effect brought about by an active cause, or effort. And the active cause must consist of some kind of interior movement within me that generates happiness.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

20. Not necessarily. There are those who are teaching the art of gratitude.

Beautiful. I think focusing on our own mortality is a great way to keep ourselves grateful. It was actually a very old practice to meditate on death. There was a old spiritual prayer book I read where they even had a practice of picking one day out of the month to treat as the day of your death. Not only does meditating on death allow us to be grateful for every breath and moment of life, it also helps us to detach from superficial things. How many of us would allow trivial things to effect us if we knew this was our last day? How many of us would hold grudges or feuds? Plus how much more prepared we will be to meet death when that day comes! Nothing but benefits.

Also I'm happy to see you are still here. :)

EyesToSeeEarsToHear and Yanis like this.