1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to let her go

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Namekian23, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I remember doing a previous thread a while back about this girl I really liked.It turns out that I'm having trouble letting her go. She's a friend of mine and lives in Florida now. We've been friends for years, but I've liked her for the longest time and deep down she knew it. The only fact was that I never told her the truth. 2013 was a very rough year for her and she wanted to give up on life. I comforted her on Facebook and gave her some encouragement only because I've been exactly what she's been through. At the same time, she was vulnerable and I wasn't the type of guy who would take advantage of that. She gave me her number, but I didn't keep it. I didn't want to be attached to her even more. But what should I do? Our friendship is a little shaky right now because I told her I didn't keep her number and she was hurt by it. I was thinking about giving my number back to her on her birthday. But how can I let her go and still be friends without being attached? As far as female friends go, my friendship with her is the longest I've ever known for any girl. I need some advice.

2. skillfulparrot

skillfulparrot Fapstronaut

I can really relate to your situation. It's tough. Really tough. What feels like the right thing can turn us into a "nice guy" which no girl wants or needs. Good, yes, not a pushover.

Truth is, you have to choose what you want first. If it's her happiness, then remaining even just a friend should be OK, with boundaries. You can even do that and want her as a girlfriend, just tell her that up front. What you absolutely should not do is be her emotional crutch. This is difficult for a lot of guys, but you aren't helping her, and you're hurting yourself, by trying to meet needs that either her girl friends or boyfriend/spouse should meet.

Take a little time to choose what you want, be reasonable that even that might not work out, and that's ok! Walk the path with integrity, selflessness, and discipline. The rest will fall into place.

3. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Thanks for posting that man. Truth is, some of what I said was a lie. There were other guys that told me bluntly, "Dude, you don't like her; you just wanna have sex with her." As much as it hurts, they were right. Now as far as my friend goes, I did told her something else. I just wanted to support her when she hit rock bottom. When she gave me her cell, it was towards all her friends. I thought it was kind of awkward that it happened in this kind of way. I told her I was sorry that I didn't keep her number and that I wished her a Merry Christmas. She didn't respond again, but I found out she wasn't mad at me and that she understood what I did. In the future, I'll try to rekindle our friendship back to normal. Thanks for your advice man.

4. skillfulparrot

skillfulparrot Fapstronaut

You are quite welcome. It's really, really good to hear you admit that you realized what you were actually seeking. Be encouraged by that! And keep those friends close. They sound like the kind we all need.

Keep fighting the good fight. I firmly believe the longer we're on this path the more clarity and love we'll find in and around the relationships we seek and keep.

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Thanks to the both of you! I wish you all good luck on your journey!!

6. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

I already told that Namekian23, but I seriously recommend this for your own good (as long as you want to get to that next level where you don't have that scarcity of women-relationships)

1. Plan your near future now.
    2. Break it down into steps.
    3. Take action just with the first step.
    4. With this girl, you just let the door open for your help and that's it. You have more important things to improve now than worrying about some girl beyond what a friend would do.
    I know this very well because I had the same behavior for several years. I had the knowledge to change my life but didn't do anything with it... And for some reasons (probably fear of change) what I did was trying to directly help others instead of myself.

Change yourself, then your social circle will benefit directly from it.

Assyrian likes this.
  7. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Thanks again for your post TotalLifeChange. This thread was a while back and during the last couple of weeks after posting similar threads related to this issue, I've decided to step back and set some realistic goals for 2015. One is getting my college degree and two, a new job opportunity. I'm not going to focus on girls right now; I'm going to focus on me.I have more important things to worry about. I'll do my best to take your advice and everyone else' advice. Thank you.

8. TotalLifeChange

TotalLifeChange Fapstronaut

Awesome :cool:

Don't completely forget though! But it's good to focus on one or two things at a time and that't it. That's my approach too.

9. master90days

master90days Fapstronaut

How come you can not tell her the truth, once you tell her the truth she might reject you (same position you are now in as you do not have her, you are not bf/gf) or she might like you. Either way win win.
    Then you can move on or move forwards.