1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Uhh.."Do one thing every day that scares you." challenge? :-)

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by I_can_and_I_will, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Hey man.

I did try something, but I don't know if it worked.

I went out in a walk, and I decided I would smile at a girl I didn't know. Just a normal smile.

I did smile at one girl, but I looked away and didn't see her reaction at all. Lol.

2. I_can_and_I_will

I_can_and_I_will Fapstronaut

My Journal
    I think the courage to smile counts buddy, keep working on getting to know more people, you'll definitely see the results :)

2525 likes this.
  3. IDK man. I feel like absolute shit today, so I think I should just log off.

I_can_and_I_will likes this.
  4. El fapio

El fapio Fapstronaut

I will do this as a 30-day challenge :D. It would be cool if you guys could drop some ideas of what to do.

I_can_and_I_will and 2525 like this.
  5. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Hey bro, how're you doing now? I'm not feeling too good either but I guess it's a passing feeling. Hope you feel better soon :)

2525 and Deleted Account like this.
  6. El fapio

El fapio Fapstronaut

Did it, got few good bits of advice. Not bad :D. Tomorrow I go out with a friend to the local club, and the challenge will be to talk to 3 ladies.

7. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    First task completed :D Good luck on your second one bud!

2525 and El fapio like this.
  8. Much much better today.

I'm thinking of what task I should take up today. Will let you know if and when I do :)

9. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Hey bro, I think you'll get an idea on what problem to tackle if you analyze your day to day activities and see if you're avoiding anything. If so, then it might be out of fear? How about your social interactions? Lemme know if you're gonna come across something bud :)

2525 likes this.
  10. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Good to know :)
    Sure my friend!

2525 likes this.
  11. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Hey pal, took me a while to reply because I couldn't figure out if my problem is the same or if it's different. I was reading your post (which is as awesome as ever! You're a pro at writing bro, all that advice sprinkled with witty jokes, enjoy reading your messages :D) and I realize one of my problems is that I tend to worry over people liking me. But I can't seem to pinpoint the exact issue though I seem close, I'll post here if I get to it, please do write your thoughts on it when you're free bud.

12. I used to worry about people liking me, but ever since I started nofap I haven't been worried much about people's opinions.

For example earlier I would wear clothes that would hide my fat as much as possible. (I'm not very far, but I have a flabby stomach and weird chest)

But ever since I started nofap, whenever I go out I don't feel the need to hide anything. On the contrary, I feel like "this is me with my weird stomach and chest, and there's nothing wrong with me"

It's actually quite liberating.

13. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Wow it's cool that you could overcome this bro, I wanna be that confident in the way I carry myself too :) Thank you for the advice, I'll try to not think about what others feel, I wanna be true to myself. NoFap is the best medicine, I must make use of it well!

14. It's like this:

There's a population of 7 billion or something on this planet right?

If you ask every single person their opinion of you, some are going to hate you and some are going to love you.

No matter if you're fat or thin or tall or short or whatever. So why bother thinking about their opinion right?

15. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Amazing :D That is one solid logic, I'm gonna tell myself this from now on.
    Thanks for tip bro!!

Congrats on reaching the two digit mark!! :)

16. Hehe thanks a lot man!

17. I_can_and_I_will

My Journal
    Day 3

Today I haven't tackled any fear, just small goals like going to a shop(yeah I actually get nervous a lot) but I don't count them because I deal with them on a daily basis. I had some struggle with depression and ended up binging on movies to avoid a relapse. I didn't wanna post here that I failed today but I don't wanna be a coward either. Perhaps this counts as a test of courage, admitting things I'm ashamed to admit but not running away :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  18. Be careful when asking me for thoughts. I type 100 words a minute and can get very verbose.

I break people who don't like me into three different categories:

1. I've done something to them.
    2. They don't like something about me I can't change.
    3. They have a problem, that I can't fix.

1. When I'm wrong and I realize it right away, I try to admit my mistake quickly. Maybe I've interrupted someone or cut in line. I can apologize for the interruption and ask them to continue or I can tell the person I cut in front of that I think I took their spot in line and allow them to go first. Those are easy fixes and help me more than them - because I won't spin on my error for days.

Then, there are people I've wronged "in a big way". Maybe I borrowed money from a realative and didn't pay it back on the day I said I would. Today, I realize it's easier to call them and explain that I know I still owe the money, but don't yet have it. Even though it would be a hardship to pay it back later, I always have so far. Which is one reason I haven't borrowed money from a relative in a very long time.

There are also long ago harms I've caused that I've dealt with. In AA there is a process where we "make amends". I had a great AA sponsor at that time. My sponsor and I went over the fact that it's my job to make amends, not thier job to accept the amends. I had one amends to make to a former employer who had died. I didn't owe her money - it was more of a personal failure on my part. My sponsor and I worked out a way for me to make the amends in a different way (although direct amends are best - that's difficult if they've died).

2. People who don't like me because of what I am or how I live my life were the most difficult.

I was a chameleon. I'd hide parts of my life (like being gay) from people I didn't think would approve of it. I think religion and politics should be avoided as dinner conversation in general, but I'd hide how I felt on those topics just in case - or especially if I knew a person had different opinions.

Worse than hiding my life or opinions, I'd actually pretend to agree with people. In short, I'd be whatever or whoever I thought would make them like me. It's exhausting and made me crazy.

But, there was no conflict. They liked me and I didn't have to get into any conflict.

In business, I still do that to an extent. I become "generic business dude", projecting nothing other than just the likable guy. A blank slate onto which they can write whatever they wish.

But, in my personal life, I no longer do that.

3. Some people are just determined to be miserable. They don't want to let people in and don't much care for anyone. Oddly, I used to attract these people. I think because I was so quick to mold to their beliefs.

What I found, and didn't like at first, was that once I stopped molding myself to their way of thinking, they stopped liking me. It felt like rejection. Mostly, because it was.

After a bit of time getting used to presenting myself to the world as I am and trying to no conform to what I thought other people wanted to see, I realized it wasn't rejection it was freedom.

---

One of the things that I've learned in life came from a man who died way too young. A visionary, yet a normal man who owned a camera shop who was a San Francisco City Commissioner. He died 10 years before I moved to San Francisco where I lived for 12 years.

Harvey Milk was murdered on November 27, 1978. A man with a gun went into San Francisco city hall and shot him and Mayor Moscone were both killed that day.

Before he died, Harvey Milk had a philosophy of life and of the cause of equality that today sounds perfectly reasonable. But, at the time seemed impossible. He said that gay equality was not going to be won in the State Legislature or the Congress. Equality would be won at the dinner table.

You see, Harvey Milk knew that it was easy to vote and to be against "them" or "those people". However, it was much more difficult to be against your son, your daughter, your cousin, your friend, your aunt or uncle.

People under 25 have always known openly gay people. But, at the time Harvey Milk made those statements, almost nobody knew an openly gay person. He died before he saw his philosophy come true. But, he was right.

Living my life openly, being who I am makes my life easier - but also makes it a bit harder for people to vote against my rights.

The storefront where Harvey Milk's camera shop used to be is still there. It's been many different types of business, but thought of him every time I walked by that store.

One last thing. Many people, even gay people, have a problem with the term "gay pride". Normally the objection comes up around June of each year, which when the gay pride parades are held in many cities. It's not the best term to use in my opinion.

Before the Stonewall riots in New York in the summer of 1969, it was a very common event for gay bars or parties to be raided by the police. Men were arrested simply for being in the company of a bunch of men (it was against the law), they would spend the night in jail and charges would be dropped. But, the next day their pictures, names, addresses and place of employment were published in the local papers. They would lose their jobs.

One interesting story is that in New York it was legal for men to sun themselves shirtless in New York's Central Park. In fact, it was a common occurrence. However, it was only legal for straight men. A man sunning himself on a blanket with his wife or girlfriend was not breaking the law. But, for a "homosexual" to take his shirt off in public was a violation of law - he was being lewd. This law was used to arrest and get gay men's pictures published in the paper. Oddly, Harvey Milk was arrest in 1947 for being in a group of men in Central Park that were arrested while nearby straight men who were also shirtless were not arrested.

So, for decades gay me were shamed for being gay. Gay shame was a real an powerful tool used by the police and society in general. That's where the term "gay pride" comes from. Should it be changed today? I think so - a better term would be "equal rights".

OK, I did something scary today - not outing myself as gay. Hell, I put that in about every tenth post. I explained why it's so important to me to always live my life not as a lie.

L

I_can_and_I_will and 2525 like this.
  19. El fapio

El fapio Fapstronaut

Challenge completed! Not much has happened, but it was an ok experience.

20. I completely forgot to mention what I did yesterday:
    I tried flirting with a girl I knew. It was kinda fun, but nothing really happened as she didn't seem that interested lol.

Today's task I will post later.

I hope everyone is having the best day of their lives today!